Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Roadies take: disc brake or rim brake debate
There's alot of buzz in our local shores about Roadies raving about having disc or rim brakes, personally I prefer something that consistently works even when it's raining so I prefer to go disc, but what's your take on this subject?
Knowing your environment and conditions is paramount regardless of equipmemt used. I prefer a rim caliper brake for many reasons (weight, cost, ease of set-up, cost of pads/maintenance, etc.). Most problems occur from inexperienced riders not knowing the braking limitations of their equipment (be it high or low end) under different conditions. I have never had an issue with braking sysems (sidepull; centerpull, canti, rod/roller, drum, etc.) when knowing their capabilities and having them properly set-up. I know discs are superior in many aspects, but I would never need them on a road bike. I see no problem with road bikes having a lightweight disc set-up for those in competition; but for the general road cycling community the cost is not worth the money for what you would require if you knew how to properly use caliper/canti rim brakes.
It does not apply to me riding vintage bikes prior to modern disc evolution; but the hills are the same so if I could manage them with "ancient" technology, why (except maybe in wet weather on unknown roads/paths) bother with the hassle of discs. If I was purchasing a brand new bike (road) I would want rim calipers for my brakes. That is probably becoming less of an option on CF bikes except when custom built for rim brakes.
From experience (business related) I see folks spending a lot of money on parts and labor to keep their disc brakes in good functional condition. At that point, especially with older experienced riders, I hear a lot of riders wondering why they spent so much on a new braking system which they barely use. If commuting then it might be more a feasible option; but not on my dedicated road bike that is already heavier than other folks riding CF frames.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(05-09-2023, 08:04 PM)Jesper Wrote:  Knowing your environment and conditions is paramount regardless of equipmemt used. I ptefer a caliper brake for many reasons (weight, cost, ease of set-up, cost of pads/maintenance, etc.). Most problems occur from inexperienced riders not knowing the limitations of their equipmemt (be ot high or low end) under different conditions. I have never had an issue with braking sysems (sidepull; centerpull& canti, rod/roller, drum, etc.) when knowing their capabilities.

Love this answer, I think this is one of the most important factors to consider in this conversation, how much you know yourself, the terrain that you'll bike on, and mechanical knowledge, Rim brake bikes are super easy to maintain at home while disc brakes (though still easy, may still need additional training amd knowledge) are a bit more difficult for alot of people
I went from rim to disc last year because that's what the new bike came with. I also went from 23c tires to 25 and now looking at 28s. Seems like it would be difficult to slide the rimmers around the bigger wheels and tires. I don't plan on riding in the rain, so not an issue for me. Too many nice days to bother with rainy days. Never had a problem with the discs yet.

(05-09-2023, 01:49 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  There's alot of buzz in our local shores about Roadies raving about having disc or rim brakes, personally I prefer something that consistently works even when it's raining so I prefer to go disc, but what's your take on this subject?
(05-28-2023, 01:54 PM)SPINMAN Wrote:  I went from rim to disc last year because that's what the new bike came with. I also went from 23c tires to 25 and now looking at 28s. Seems like it would be difficult to slide the rimmers around the bigger wheels and tires. I don't plan on riding in the rain, so not an issue for me. Too many nice days to bother with rainy days. Never had a problem with the discs yet.

(05-09-2023, 01:49 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  There's alot of buzz in our local shores about Roadies raving about having disc or rim brakes, personally I prefer something that consistently works even when it's raining so I prefer to go disc, but what's your take on this subject?

Definitely a major issue to consider on this topic, thicker tires give more comfort, are faster and generally give a better ride quality, I think rim brakes max out at 700x28c(depends on frame and wheelset involved), you'll just have to deflate the tire a little to pull the tire out when installing or removing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Last Post: 1FJEF

08-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Bill

03-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Arseneau69