Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Viscount Aerospace
Hi. I am trying to renovate a Viscount Aerospace and am having difficulty with the bottom bracket. The shell is normal 68mm, but has pressed in 35MM bearings (not BB30) and a 119 mm spindle that (obviously) passes through these bearings.

Bearings are easy to find, less so the spindle! The spindle has been damaged (not by me) and is useless. I have tried all the places I know to find a spindle, but cannot locate. So am toying with the idea of fitting a sealed bottom bracket (the damaged thread, repair type, as the shell is not threaded and too thin to try and thread). Has anyone got experience of this? or know where I can find a replacement spindle.

Many thanks
You are not going to find the spindle as far as I know. A threadless BB should work fine. http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/bottom-brackets/grand-cru-threadless-bottom-brackets.html. Make absolutely sure that the bike has a steel fork, not the original defective/recalled aluminum one.
I would go with our friend from Syracuse recommendation.

If you are a brave soul with $$$$ to spare, you could take the old spindle to a machine shop and inquire about duplicating it. The replacement needs to be 4340 or similar high strength alloy steel, and be hardened to around Rc40-45.
Nigel
Thanks for the replies - Threadless BB it is! The fork is OK, as far as i can tell this is a Mk3 with a "proper" steel fork.