Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Choosing a new (shielded) sprocket.
Hi to all.

I'm tired of my chain guard rattling and I want to install a shielded crank sprocket. My bike doesn't have the "old school" crank and the current sprocket appears to be splined onto the crank arm. I only have one sprocket (not multi-speed).

What should I look for before I purchase a new crank? I want to keep using my crank so will any splined sprocket work?

Thanks.............Tom
Maysville KY.
2011softcruise

“Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.”
Airplane (1980) – Rex Kramer (Robert Stack)

By shielded crank sprocket, are you talking about a chainring guard? A photo maybe!
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Are you looking for something like what I show in:
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-2917.html ?

We definitely need pics.
Nigel
Hi again and thanks for the replys.
I want to change sprocket to one that has a guard so I can take off the chain guard (and fix the rattling problem). What should I look for (whats compatible with my crank set up) or will I need to replace the entire crank? If so, what should I look for? I'm unfamiliar with this crank style so I want to be sure that I purchase the correct sprocket and crank (if needed).[attachment=2640][attachment=2641][attachment=2642][attachment=2643][attachment=2644]
2011softcruise

“Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.”

I got one of these for the hybrid I just sold:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Tourney-FC-M171-Crankset-48-38-28T/dp/B003ZMFNX4/
and added a front derailleur. I still have the single that I took off - we could work a deal; PM if you are interested. Also need a picture with the plastic cap (SHUN SHUN) removed; it should screw off - to make sure of compatibility.

You need a tool to remove the cranks you currently have; take a look at: http://bikeride.com/replace-cotterless-cranks/
Nigel
[attachment=2646][attachment=2647][attachment=2648][attachment=2649]That sounds great (I hope the part is compatible). Let me know if it will work for me and I'll PM you for details. I have some other "shop" work so I'll just have them do the upgrade.
2011softcruise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-09-2023, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Jesper

06-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: JoJoJo

07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Last Post: 1FJEF