Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Mag rear rim?
One of my 20" folders has a rear v-brake that rubs when the rear rim goes out of true (i weigh 200 lbs. +). Would i be better off with a rear mag rim? What kind of weight penalty is there, and will a mag rim hold a tire at 65 psi +?
The rim shouldn't go out of true under your weight.
Small wheels are normally stronger than the more common 27"/700c versions.
I would suspect the wheel needs truing and the spokes tensioning properly.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
The problem is systemic--truing is always needed with v-brakes on spoke wheels from time to time. So i was hoping to eliminate the need by switching to mag wheels. But, not having one handy ( i live in thailand, where mag wheels are rarer than virgins or working vending machines...) i can't just compare their weight to an alu, spoked rim. Over 15 kg's total i can't realistically fly with the bike. Mags would also lessen the probability of damage by the usual terrorist/baggage handlers these airlines hire.
By mags, do you mean plastic die cast wheels? I have only seen these used on bmx bikes, which don't have gears.
Cheap ones retail for about £30 ea. in the Uk, but these do run out to some extent, and there is no way of trueing them or, I would think, fitting gears if needed.
If a single speed would be ok, you would also need to look into the OLD.
FYI, This is on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-Rear-BMX-Mag-6-Spoke-Nylon-Freestyle-Wheel-BLACK-/310235315967?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item483b773eff