Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the June Giveaway for a brand new Merida Matts 6.5 bicycle

Limiting a rear derailleur to less speeds
Hey guys,

So I saw this beauty on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Pinarello-Chrome-Bicycle-Two-Speed-Bicycle-58cm-/250560878876?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item3a5697991c

and I noticed the rear derailleur only shifts between 2 speeds, which I thought was kind of cool because I've always wanted a bike that isn't quite a single speed but also not a 24 speed or so...

So, I was wondering if anyone knew if this is something you can just do with a regular derailleur or what...they talk about a "Campagnolo CdA rear derailleur (Chosen for the mechanical limit bar.)" does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!
Most RDs will have limit screws that will close down the shift movement. Whether they can be restricted to just two though??
I really don't see the sense in just two gears. I would go for a single fixed gear or perhaps a Sturmey Archer 3 speed.

If you have a derailleur bike then have a go at setting the stop screws to see if it works.
Ride hard or ride home alone!

Possibly Related Threads...