Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Fusar Poli/Rossin fluted frame
Since I previously referenced Rossin custom making shaped tubing for frames (e.g. "Ghibli" model; their Columbus "SLX" custom fluted frame), here is a frame design that is fairly rare. I have only seen 1 other fluted "CROMOR" version of this frame; a Rossin badged frame circa '90 or a little later which shows that Rossin was producing these frames for themselves as well as others. I cannot find a Rossin catalogue with it showing a bike with this tubing, but they made it for at least 2 years.
Fusar Poli (FP) branded Rossin made frame made with Columbus "CROMOR" (special special lightweight seamed tubing). Frame was contract built by Rossin, and then outfitted and sold by Cicli Fusar Poli; estimate manufactured circa 1988/89. The Fusar Poli shop never built their own frames (Luciano rode an "FP" badged Stebel frame in track competition); they still sell frames under their own marque today.
The livery is original (never badged as a Rossin other than stay caps and fork crown panto's) and original Columbus "Cromor" decals (early "Matrix" style w/o "wavy" lines in the background) just after "Matrix" name changed to "Cromor" circa 1988 ( "Matrix introduced in 1987, but in use late '86) due to Trek's bullying on any type of name infringement (Star Trek should sue Trek!). Butted with 4 "GILCO style" crimps on down and top tubes.
Workmanship is excellent; internal top tube and BB cable routing. 125mm rear spacing, 27.0mm seat post. Unmarked drop-outs front and rear denotes it as being a little more of a cost saving offering along with the slightly heavier tube set over Columbus' top end sets of the era (e.g. "SL", "SLX", "TSX") due to 0.1mm thicker tubes; actually a mix of gauges between "SL" and "SP" tubing providing a stiffer frame (avg complete set weights: "SL" 1925g, "TSX" 1945, "SLX" 1966g, "MATRIX/CROMOR" 2190g, "SP" 2215g, "SPX" 2325g). I would still place it as a high end frame given it is a very lightweight frame with exceptional stiffness in its design, internal cable routing, and extensive chrome generally reserved for higher end frames. NOTA BENE: Never judge a higher end frame soley on its weight (or tubing decal) as many bikes often used mixed tube sets, and frame weights are a relative spec. because it really depends on frame sizes and how much of the butt was cut off during building. Custom frames could be anything, and are designed in conjunction with a rider's specific needs/requests as to stiffness and forgiveness. Thus the evolution of crimped/fluted, oval, and multi-shaped tubing starting in the early 80s and continuing today even with CF frames/forks.

The Fusar Poli marque was established in 1975 by Marino Fusar Poli in Busto Garolfo after retiring from his amateur career, and in collaboration with his brother Luciano who was still participating as an amateur before going pro in the early '80s (Italian Nat'l Track Champ. in '82). Marino acted as a mechanic for many national teams and Luciano coached/coaches Italian national track squads.
I like the "World Champion" color fade (so 80s!) which is pretty unique as it is the only only example I have seen on any brand so far. I don't think Luciano ever won a World Championship, but their decal (different decals used in the early to mid '80s) boasts the colors also, so I guess no one cared anymore. Early on "world champ" stripes or "olympic" rings were only (gentleman's agreement or mandated?) on bikes that could claim victories by riders in those events riding frames by that builder; considered boasting rights and used to help propel a marque's status and thus sales. Their shop still exists, now being run by Luciano's son.
Still a partially built wall hanger in my workshop as I try to source some panto'd parts for it which thus far have not surfaced after 1 1/2 yrs.

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-28-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: enkei

10-26-2020, 08:11 PM