Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Santini fluted frame
I obtained this odd '80s frame for one of my winter projects. I am still trying to research it due to the name (unknown marque to me) and tubing. It utilizes "Gilco like" fluting; but 5 flutes instead of 4 as found on "Gilco" tubing used on Colnago Masters and other bikes. I think the frame tubing (3 main tubes at least) are Columbus; but probably modified outside of their factory as I have recently found out that Rossin made their own shaped tubing (I have a Rossin frame made with 4 flute Columbus "CROMOR"). The fork is full Columbus (steerer-reinforced, blades, and drop-outs); and rear drop-outs are also Columbus. Panto'd stay caps and head lug. Lugs are Prugnat. I have never seen a BB shell of this design; there is a casting mark that appears to be "SR" (it is not "Sakae Ringyo") in a circle; my research shows it being used on dozens of high quality Italian frames, and English frames even Raleigh. It would seem to have appeared in the mid to late 80s and was gone sometime in the 90s.
Italian thread BB @ 70mm, 125mm rear fork, seat post 27.2mm, internal shift and brake cables, top mount DT shifters.

The Santini bikes I have seen have a 4 leaf clover logo (see last photo); from a shop in Forte dei Marmi founded by Ermanno Santini, but I believe there is no connection other than name. Decal font is also different between the 2 marques.

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Jesper, what a beautiful frame. Just curious how you know so much about a frame. I can't write so much about my full bike..:-) So, wondering if you worked in the bicycle industry or if all this is out of pure passion. Please keep us posted on how the bike comes along.
(03-24-2024, 02:25 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Jesper, what a beautiful frame. Just curious how you know so much about a frame. I can't write so much about my full bike..:-) So, wondering if you worked in the bicycle industry or if all this is out of pure passion. Please keep us posted on how the bike comes along.

My very limited knowledge (compared to others) comes from 45 years of riding, rebuilding, refurbishing, restoring, and researching (mostly) Italian bikes from pre-'90s cycling era (my first real race bike was a 1980 Colnago). I have always been intrigued about bikes and started modifying them in my early teens (at one point putting 2 calipers back to back on the rear wheel of a chopper), but my love of cycling really is based in the freedom it provided whether in my "backyard" as a child or across the country when I got older. Older bikes have more history and heritage behind the companies, designers/builders, and riders than newer bikes. There are certainly many exceptions to that but most newer companys' roots are from the '70s and later (e.g. Trek, Specialized, et al.); and early mtb's are even more limited in lineage, but are the next generation of bikes that are being scrutinized as to their early designs and evolution. I would have loved to work in a bike shop, and it is probably why I enjoyed operating my service business since I regularly worked on items from as far back as the '30s, never knowing what might walk through my doors. For the past 10 years I have worked out of a bike Co-op (unfortunately closed 2 years ago) and I have had 100s of Italian and European racing bikes/frames pass through my hands so I have always tried to familiarize myself with each brand's history since they all are important to some degree in the development of bikes and cycling. I wish I knew more about early American cruisers/balloon tire bikes; but mid and lightweight European bikes always held my attention more than those heavy accessorized American bikes even though I grew up with them as hand-me-downs from my older siblings. I always try to impart my knowledge to the next owner (or those following online) so that they might have some appreciation as to a bike's history and realize that they now own a piece of history and at times a fairly rare piece at that since the majority of what I ride are made in numbers well under 10000 per model and even all models combined to include custom bespoke bikes. Although I own and ride some rather higher volume production bikes (my '70s Raleigh Sports is still a favorite), I always loved the artisan craftsmanship of handmade frames designed for nothing more than efficient speed combined with artistry. I doubt that I would ever be that interested in any e-bike in the same way unless I find one of the very first designs. Funny how electric cars were developed about 100 years ago, but bikes just morphed into gas powered motor-bikes, scooters, and motorcycles; even a steam powered bike (I want one!). I should have bought a prototype solar powered e-bike made by a local engineering student but passed on something that I think might become the next wave of e-bikes if developed and marketed properly. I think all electric powered vehicles should have solar power integrated into their charging systems to help extend range if even by a small percent.
Take care,
Jesper

This is the reason I love you Jesper. you are a "national treasure" in the bicycle world. You have my deepest respect and I really appreciate the time you take doing what you do for this site.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(03-28-2024, 07:44 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  This is the reason I love you Jesper. you are a "national treasure" in the bicycle world. You have my deepest respect and I really appreciate the time you take doing what you do for this site.

Thank you for the kind compliment. I feel the same as to your contributions, and others giving useful advice based on their experience and knowledge.

I have been relentlessly working on an Italian "bicyclopedia" in an effort to document the thousands of marques that once existed. Unfortunately, many shops were quite small and produced a very limited number of bikes and those made were generally restricted to the area where they were made. I am lucky to have some friends in Italy to help me, but one really needs to travel to the communes and small cities to speak with those still living to recover much of Italy's cycling history. That pretty much applies to all of Europe before WW2. So many companies turned to making scooters and motorcycles that their bike making days are a mere footnote in their history (e.g. Aprilia).
I started an Italian head badge thread on the CABE site as a small visual representation of many brands where examples of bikes are often not available and no history of their existence is available other than a badge. Even then, I have only a few hundred examples out of the thousands once in existence and information is quite limited regarding their history. Thankfully, many badges were not mere decoration, but acted as advertisements for a company often including a builders name and shop address. For those interested: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/italian-head-badge-thread.216836/
Take care,
Jesper

That's a lovely frame. I hope you discover its heritage.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-30-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Jesper