Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

New hip fracture, looking for some words of encouragement
Newly hip fractured cyclist, 53, looking for some words of encouragement, happy ending stories, and words of advice.

Broke my hip last Sunday, was admitted that night, and had surgery to repair it with a sliding hip screw (common repair I guess).

The femoral head wasn't separated from the femur(I think that's good) so the surgeon felt that the blood supply wasn't too badly impeded by the time surgery was done. The surgeon said he was very happy with the outcome and expected an excellent recovery. Also said the sliding him screw can be removed if it causes problems in the future.

Everything feels pretty good except the thigh on the injured leg is swollen (was told this would happen). Been icing it and limiting movement.

Already doing my at-home PT and have appointments for PT coming up. For some reason, I went nuts with this stuff the first few days home and ended up both discouraged and tired.

If you've had this injury, please share a bit of your story (and any encouragement).

I'm feeling a bit down right now. Like many of you, cycling is a big part of my life (mentally and physically) and thinking of not being able to do it is pretty hard to imagine.

(03-15-2024, 04:38 PM)claudiajohnston Wrote:  Newly hip fractured cyclist, 53, looking for some words of encouragement, happy ending stories, and words of advice.

Broke my hip last Sunday, was admitted that night, and had surgery to repair it with a sliding hip screw (common repair I guess).

The femoral head wasn't separated from the femur(I think that's good) so the surgeon felt that the blood supply wasn't too badly impeded by the time surgery was done from
https://doctor.global/blog/hip-fracture-a-comprehensive-guide-to-causes-treatment-and-recovery/. The surgeon said he was very happy with the outcome and expected an excellent recovery. Also said the sliding him screw can be removed if it causes problems in the future.

Everything feels pretty good except the thigh on the injured leg is swollen (was told this would happen). Been icing it and limiting movement.

Already doing my at-home PT and have appointments for PT coming up. For some reason, I went nuts with this stuff the first few days home and ended up both discouraged and tired.

If you've had this injury, please share a bit of your story (and any encouragement).

I'm feeling a bit down right now. Like many of you, cycling is a big part of my life (mentally and physically) and thinking of not being able to do it is pretty hard to imagine.
thanks in advance for any help
Welcome to the forums.

Know that you are loved and you are not alone. This is just a minor setback that you can easily overcome with time and rehabilitation training. Starting slow, anything you breakdown the body builds back up stronger (as long as the resources are there to do so). With this said, very important through your recovery to up your protein intake, stay on top of your micronutrients with a multivitamin split through the day, and stay hydrated. Getting some collagen peptides would be another great choice to help prime your recovery from the injury. If you don't like the supplement power, of which there are lots of great ones out there, try sipping bone broth everyday.

If you need some mental stim, consider checking out Serotonin Dopamine Liquescense. I couldn't recommend this stuff enough. It tops off your neurotransmitter stores to help restore balance from overstimulation; lifting your mental clarity and your mood.
Hello claudiajohnston,

I hope you are doing better now. I'm sorry to hear about your injury, but please know that things will improve. I want to share my close friend's remarkable recovery experience. He underwent a total hip replacement, and with time, he recovered remarkably well. He is passionate about cycling and enjoys time with his dog. To make sure he could still pursue his hobbies, he bought a doggie bag to carry his beloved pet, Lulu, while riding his bike. ( I don't have his picture with Lulu, so attaching a stock image from the net)

Late last year, he even embarked on a solo bicycle tour in Eastern Europe. His journey is evidence of the power of time, patience, and physical therapy. It's a reminder that you, too, will reach your goals of recovery. Just be kind to yourself.

Wishing you the very best on your road to recovery. You've got this!

During your recovery, if you need any interesting stories or experiences to lift your spirits, I am attaching links to my cycling adventures in Colombia, Ecuador, and India. Hopefully, they will bring some joy to your day and inspire you to dream of your own future journeys. Take care and stay positive!

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mistergordo/chevre-y-sad-day/
https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mistergordo/repeating-parts-of-tembr-to-head-to-rubens-farm/
https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mistergordoindia/mustve-accrued-a-lot-of-good-karma/

(03-15-2024, 04:38 PM)claudiajohnston Wrote:  Newly hip fractured cyclist, 53, looking for some words of encouragement, happy ending stories, and words of advice.

The femoral head wasn't separated from the femur(I think that's good) so the surgeon felt that the blood supply wasn't too badly impeded by the time surgery was done. The surgeon said he was very happy with the outcome and expected an excellent recovery. Also said the sliding him screw can be removed if it causes problems in the future.

The femoral head wasn't separated from the femur(I think that's good) so the surgeon felt that the blood supply wasn't too badly impeded by the time surgery was done from
https://doctor.global/blog/hip-fracture-a-comprehensive-guide-to-causes-treatment-and-recovery/. The surgeon said he was very happy with the outcome and expected an excellent recovery. Also said the sliding him screw can be removed if it causes problems in the future.

Attached Files Image(s)

Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear about your hip fracture – that's tough news for any cyclist. But hey, good on you for already getting surgery and diving into your PT. It sounds like you've got a solid plan in place, and I'm stoked to hear your surgeon's optimistic about your recovery.
You got this!
Guy I know suffered with a bad hip for several years (legacy of military service and rugby). He got a new hip a few years ago. He recently completed his second extended bike tour in Europe, each one around 1,200 miles.

Today's replacement hips are incredible things.

Recover well! I also suffered an arm fracture that had to be operated on with Titanium implants, glad to say that after 2months I was back on the saddle again enjoying the sport we all love. Pray for healing and follow what your Orthopedic Doctor says for recovery and therapy sessions, these are important so you can get back on the saddle and enjoy this sport! During recovery I also watched a lot of cycling related videos, GCN, GMBN, mountain bike and road bike channels kept me company during this period of my life, these activities helped me keep the love for cycling even while being physically unable to do it, once I was done with Therapy sessions the first thing I did was ride my bike

Praying for your recovery!
Hello Enkei, I need to share your story of my close friend who underwent total hip replacement surgery. My friend did some bicycle tours in Europe but your friend is an inspiration even for someone like me who hasn't undergone any surgery. Thanks for sharing his remarkable recovery story.

@ claudiajohnston , wishing you the very best. I hope warmer weather and spring are making things better.

(03-31-2024, 06:14 PM)enkei Wrote:  Guy I know suffered with a bad hip for several years (legacy of military service and rugby). He got a new hip a few years ago. He recently completed his second extended bike tour in Europe, each one around 1,200 miles.

Today's replacement hips are incredible things.

Thanks, meamoantonio for sharing your recovery story. Glad to hear that you recovered well after your arm fracture and are now back to enjoying cycling. I met a few cyclists during my ride in South America and now in India who got injured in an accident but remarkably recovered well and were back on saddle as soon as their bodies could allow. I am truly impressed by you and them. Truly inspirational and remarkable stories. Wishing @ claudiajohnston the very best and looking forward to hearing her back on saddle accounts soon..

quote='meamoantonio' pid='48073' dateline='1711954204']

Recover well! I also suffered an arm fracture that had to be operated on with Titanium implants, glad to say that after 2months I was back on the saddle again enjoying the sport we all love. Pray for healing and follow what your Orthopedic Doctor says for recovery and therapy sessions, these are important so you can get back on the saddle and enjoy this sport! During recovery I also watched a lot of cycling related videos, GCN, GMBN, mountain bike and road bike channels kept me company during this period of my life, these activities helped me keep the love for cycling even while being physically unable to do it, once I was done with Therapy sessions the first thing I did was ride my bike

Praying for your recovery!
[/quote]
I'm sure this is a big deal to you and rightfully so but I got to say it's really not that bad to be honest don't be out there again in no time just to use this time to heal correctly and take the time to really heal and rest and relax it'll be good for you get yourself strong before your return. I broke a hip once I mean it was a long time ago and I was much younger than I am now but on the scale of things it's not too bad it was definitely painful though. If I were you I wouldn't have opted for the screw or any kind of surgery but that's your choice not mine. I would just say really take advantage of this time to rest and relax and to heal your body before you know it this will all be a distant memory. Good luck