Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

WTB Raddler TCS 40c, small cut - repairable?
Went to fix the slow leak on my gravel bike's rear tyre. Found the culprit: a small cut near the middle of the tyre.

The good news is it gave me an excuse to order a pair of Panaracer 43c semi-slick GravelKings (most of my local rides are more road-focused) to try out.

Meanwhile, I was considering ye olde vulcanised patch repair to the inside of the tyre and superglue to the outside, but I'm thinking that tread knob is going to stress the 'repair' to much. Also, as it's gone through the cords, am I doomed?

Currently running butyl tubes.

What sayest thou gurus — is it repairable?

If you use a normal patch on the inside of the tire, it will stretch, form a bulge, and and wear fairly quickly when you ride on the tire. It will fail.

You need a patch that will not stretch. I have cut a piece out of the sidewall of an old tire, and glued it in, in a situation like that. It needs to cover the area all around the hole. It will not stretch and bulge. I think you can buy special patches that will not stretch also. You need something with chords, like in a tire, to prevent stretching. Some people may use a piece of fabric, and a patch.

Normal super glue sets rigid, and will fail. I have heard you can buy super glue that sets more like rubber. See if you can find some. It may be easier to use contact glue, which sets more like rubber. You can use it to glue the patch, and fill the hole from the outside. When filling the hole from the outside, you may need to apply it a number of times, as contact glue shrinks when it sets. If you apply it multiple times, you can completely fill the hole.

I have done repairs like this, and the tire was as good as before it got the hole in it.

But keep in mind it is experimental, and may or may not work well. Either way you will learn something.
Another option.

You could repair it by cutting a patch from an old pair of jeans, and glue it in with contact glue. Make the patch quite a bit larger than the hole. I would use two layers of denim for the patch, to be safe. You can use any cloth, provided it is strong, and does not stretch.

Then fill the hole on the outside with contact glue, multiple times until it is full.
Thanks, Itchitan.

I posted the same question to a UK gravel bike forum on FB. The consensus was 100% patch the tire, patch the tube, and don't worry about it.

I've already ridden it with a patch only on the tube, no problem.

New tires due today, so I plan to try those out. While the WTBs are "taking a vacation" I''ll patch the tire, too.

(02-21-2024, 07:59 AM)enkei Wrote:  Thanks, Itchitan.

I posted the same question to a UK gravel bike forum on FB. The consensus was 100% patch the tire, patch the tube, and don't worry about it.

New tires due today, so I plan to try those out. While the WTBs are "taking a vacation" I''ll patch the tire, too.

By the way, I used this type of patch, not the old-school stretchy butyl rubber type.

You probably already understand, but just clarifying.

The patch for the tube must stretch.

The patch for the tire must not stretch, or it will bulge out at the hole, quickly wear, and fail.

By the way, I used this type of patch, not the old-school stretchy butyl rubber type.

fact that the cut has penetrated through the cords raises concerns about the strength and safety of any repair attempt in the first place.
superglue are often effective for smaller punctures and cuts, in this case, the stress placed on the repair by the tread knobs during riding can be dangerous. Just wait for your new tires and enjoy a little break
(02-29-2024, 08:02 PM)Talha Wrote:  

fact that the cut has penetrated through the cords raises concerns about the strength and safety of any repair attempt in the first place.
superglue are often effective for smaller punctures and cuts, in this case, the stress placed on the repair by the tread knobs during riding can be dangerous. Just wait for your new tires and enjoy a little break

Thanks. Consensus among everyone on the Gravel group to which I posted the question was that a patch will be fine. I'm running on the Panaracers now but will patch the WTB and eventually try it out.
(03-02-2024, 05:44 PM)enkei Wrote:  
(02-29-2024, 08:02 PM)Talha Wrote:  fact that the cut has penetrated through the cords raises concerns about the strength and safety of any repair attempt in the first place.
superglue are often effective for smaller punctures and cuts

Thanks. Consensus among everyone on the Gravel group to which I posted the question was that a patch will be fine. I'm running on the Panaracers now but will patch the WTB and eventually try it out.

Partly repeating myself.

If you use a patch for the tire which stretches, it will fail. You need a patch that does not stretch. It needs to cover a significantly large area around the hole, It is ideal to cut a patch from the sidewall of an old tire.

Ordinary superglue is not appropriate, as it sets rigid. There is another type of superglue which sets like rubber. If you can find it, you can use it. A good glue for this is contact glue, as it sets like rubber. It is often called 'contact adhesive.' You can also use contact glue to fill the hole from the outside.

Explaining in more detail.

If you use a patch that stretches, when you inflate the tire, it will bulge out a little. The part that bulges out, will wear faster. In a short time it will make a larger hole in the tire. In a short time, you will wear a hole completely through the patch.

If you cut a patch from the sidewall of an old tire, which covers a large area around the hole., it will not bulge out. If done well, it will last a long time.
(02-21-2024, 09:01 AM)ichitan Wrote:  You probably already understand, but just clarifying.

The patch for the tube must stretch.

The patch for the tire must not stretch, or it will bulge out at the hole, quickly wear, and fail.

But that tire hole is so small that you could patch it with the tin-foil off of the patch. I wouldn't normally worry about a hole that small but others do.

Possibly Related Threads...