Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

I modified my pedals for safety, and to prevent damaging my shoes
I put new pedals on my bike recently. They have thin bolts which stick out, to prevent the rider's shoes slipping on the pedals.

They are a safety risk. If the rider's shoes come off the pedals, and the pedals hit his or her legs, the thin bolts could easily penetrate the skin, causing an injury.

The thin bolts also penetrate the soles of shoes. After penetrating the shoes many times, bits of rubber start falling out of the shoes. With long term use, they destroy the shoes.

I removed four of the bolts. Then put those nuts on the remaining four bolts. The nuts provide a larger contact surface, greatly reducing the risk of penetrating the skin, or soles of shoes, while still providing adequate grip.

The first picture shows the original pedals.

The second picture shows the remaining four bolts. The nuts which I put on those bolts are not shown.

I hope they serve your needs since they appear to be cheaper nylon pedals. Everyone of those types of pedals I see from others (general commuters) have play at the bearings and many have cracks.
I would never buy that "mtb" pedal for use on actual trails since they are not designed for their implied use. Just seeing the traction studs shows how cheap they are by just using protruding bolts. Another manufacturing cost saving feature. I would be curious to know how many mtb/ off-road cyclists would feel confident using those pedals.

Edit: upon quick review I found complaints of platform cracking and bearing play after minimal use. I could find a better pair of used pedals for less at my thrift shop.
I look at it this way: if I have to modify a brand new part then I must have purchased the wrong part for my needs. In most cases modifying a new part does not add improved performance or durability. Sorry that they chew up shoes, but that is what a cheap design will do. I would think that they will give about 500 miles or less of trouble free service; for me that would be about 2 months of use which is not worth the hassle or cost. My 30 year old pedals still have thousands of miles left in them after more than 10000 miles already on them. No redesigning required, no shoe damage, no shin injuries.

My question would be, why did you buy them and was there no better option (design, cost, etc.)?
(11-28-2023, 02:49 PM)Sybian Wrote:  why did you buy them and was there no better option?

On my bikes, I have replaced the pedals a number of times. With previous pedals, the pedal axle has bent or broken, or the bearings have failed. Many new pedals are rubbish, and designed to break.

In the town I am in, those are the best pedals I could find in the bike shops. There would be more choices if I went to the city, or online.

They have not been on the bike long. I have only done around 1000 km, so I don't know how they will be with long term use. But in the short time I have had them, they have been good. If they fail, I will look for other options.

I would be interested to know examples of what pedals you or others would recommend.
(11-28-2023, 05:18 PM)ichitan Wrote:  
(11-28-2023, 02:49 PM)Sybian Wrote:  why did you buy them and was there no better option?

On my bikes, I have replaced the pedals a number of times. With previous pedals, the pedal axle has bent or broken, or the bearings have failed. Many new pedals are rubbish, and designed to break.

In the town I am in, those are the best pedals I could find in the bike shops. There would be more choices if I went to the city, or online.

They have not been on the bike long. I have only done around 1000 km, so I don't know how they will be with long term use. But in the short time I have had them, they have been good. If they fail, I will look for other options.

I would be interested to know examples of what pedals you or others would recommend.

Just pop on youtube, I am sure there are plenty of video's about pedals that you will believe in. But remember, all manufacturers make parts that fail so you keep having to buy them. Or maybe a quality pedal in the price range you are willing to spend just does not exist. MMmm dunno?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Last Post: srglassw