Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the October Giveaway for the Haven Bicycle Co. beach cruiser

Gear problems
when my front derailleur is on 3 and my rear derailleur is on 1 the gear doesn't engage and instead some of the chain comes on the front derailleur and the rest stays on front. derailleur gear 2. if i press harder it looks like the jockey wheel of the rear derailleur will come off, as the whole jockey wheel piece is extending to maximum, and a bit more of a harder push looks like it will tear it off. what do u think is the problem?

please help Smile
(01-20-2010, 05:42 PM)jaysonkandiah Wrote:  when my front derailleur is on 3 and my rear derailleur is on 1 the gear doesnt engage and instead someof the chain comes on the front derailleur and the rest stays on front. derailleur gear 2. if i press harder it looks like the jockey wheel of the rear derailleur will come off, as the whole jockey wheel piece is extending to maximum, and a bit more of a harder push looks like it will tear it off. what do u think is the problem.
please help Smile

Is your chain too short?
See this tutorial:-
http://bikeride.com/calculate-chain-length/
Ride hard or ride home alone!
If I get you right you are saying your chain is on the small sprocket on back and the big sprocket on front. If this is right your derailleur she be at 6 pm if its not then your chain is to short. You will need to add a little more chain then it should be fine.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...