Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

1987 Specialized Stumpjumper
Photo 
Time for my old Stumpy to get the treatment. The only thing not original to the bike are the tires. I am the second owner of this classic survivor. It has never been ridden off road except for some packed dirt paths and prolly a total of around 500 miles. Will be nice to sweeten her back up. My plan is to roll with the orange in the graphics so orange cable housing it is! Also swap the clear wheel reflectors with orange. New tubes, and going back to a 1.75 tire with a smooth center with mild knobs. Off with the clips/straps and go with the mini clips that forego the straps. the original grips are foam and kinda dry. I will use lockon style foam as a replacement. A frame off clean and rebuild and she will be back in action but probably will put her up for sale. Just these subtle changes should really give the bike a fresh look with a touch of style. Excited to get it done, its been long over due!

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Surprised to see an Italian road saddle as OE. Nice looking bike, color and condition. Great to see toe clips still in use on an mtb. I guess the early-mid 90s was the turning point for clipless pedals to start entering the common market.
(09-16-2023, 06:08 AM)Sybian Wrote:  Surprised to see an Italian road saddle as OE. Nice looking bike, color and condition. Great to see toe clips still in use on an mtb. I guess the early-mid 90s was the turning point for clipless pedals to start entering the common market.
Yup, I never really got into the spd pedals
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
started the refurb on the old girl, while cleaning and working on the front wheel i just could not get over how smooth like glass the hub was even after all these years. So playing around with the spin test it spun for over 13min. before it stopped to reverse back and forth. pretty darn good in my book. Decided to go with orange wheel reflectors to add some color that went with the graphics. I am thinking of orang for the cable housing over black also. May roll with a nice set of leather lock on grips to rock with the seat too. Gut and start the hand rubbing to bring back the shine and put back to riding again and put her up for sale.

Attached Files Image(s)

What's with the orange handlebar? Is it a tint or anodized aluminum?
I would imagine a type of anodizing, the color is something like aged copper brownish in color. I have seen this used on other 80s mtbs in the past. the stem,bars, shims are all alloy.

Attached Files Image(s)

A true mountain bike made for those who can ride without an ugly and heavy suspension and disc brakes. Exactly what I grew up riding. Also, those early mountain bikes were most adaptable for general use and road riding. Wonderful example! Thanks Painkiller for bringing back a quality classic.
Most folks cannot even imagine riding a rigid mtb (or even know they exist!); spoiled are they!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Could not agree with you more! what kills me are the people that buy low end bikes and somehow expect them to perform like $2000 bikes. Nothing more fun than ripping aa rigid steelie through the woods. My newest Mtb is a 97'. Bontrager Privateer pulled from box and retro modified to the hilt. Shame i have never even ridden it yet. My cup of tea is mostly mid 80s thru 90s mtb and road bikes. But pretty open to most anything worthy of a fluff and flip. Cannot wait to get her finished up. Going to jazz her up a tad but keep it true to its self also. hoping it all comes together nicely with adding a bit more color.
Finally had time to get the frame hand rubbed, Wheels are done, I have to finish up cleaning the rest of the parts. I think the little changes to orange wheel reflectors and cable housing will set it off just right. Can't wait to get her zipped up and on the market. Great retro pub crawler I would think.

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful!

I love the colours and graphics on this era of bikes.

I revived a Hardrock a couple of years ago for someone.

Great color
(10-28-2023, 04:28 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Great color

Ain't it just? I feel like I should don a headband and leg warmers and do a disco--infused aerobics workout.
I want to see a picture of this! lol
Starting to assemble and design the final look to the stumpy, wanted to add some color and pop to the the bike and give it that urban yuppie style with vintage flare. I decided to color and flare by using orange reflectors, orange cable housing, multi colored bottle cage and platform pedals. Still have the original cable housing, grips, dork disc, pedals, clips and straps that will go along with the bike when sold. waiting on the matching pedals and orange cable housing and button it up for the photo shoot.

Attached Files Image(s)

Finally got her finshed up, brought back to a new and stylish look, good for a new life. Sweet riding bike, feels as good as new.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well I thought I was done, til I came across this sweet Brooks b17 special champion saddle in all its copper clad glory! A beautiful paring with the copperesk coloring of the bars on this bicycle. I had to have it at any cost. cannot wait toseason her up and get it installed to start breaking her in. A match made in heaven! The 10yr warranty ain't bad either.

Attached Files Image(s)

She is finally done again! lol. A match made in heaven with this brooks saddle.

Attached Files Image(s)

Once again I guess I still wasn't finished with this build, Mercy, when will it end? Lol. I had ordered online a set of tires for another build that looked to be a more brown cream color. But much to surprise when I opened the box I was hit hard in face with these quite orange skins. Deciding to much bother to send back, hell its only money, (my better half can work that off). Then what to do with them I ask myself? The only bicycle I own with orange accents was my Stumpy. Still, I do not mind a splash of color but WOW, this hits pretty hard at first anyways. Its starting to grow on me and now I kinda like it. What do those who see this post think about the look? The black tires or the orange? I would really like to know and why, if you feel like it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Bombay