Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Less Popular Brands with Good New Bikes?
Hi All, I am looking to buy my first hybrid bike for the goal of losing weight.

To be honest the good popular brands have really expensive bikes so I was going through some forums and couple of options are:

1. Buy a used really good brand bike.
2. Get a pricier bike from a less popular/big brands.

I have really little knowledge about bikes so not sure how to evaluate a good used bike.

My budget is around $600-$700. Please advise of some options for me. Thanks
There are so many possibilities, it would be unrealistic to list them all. Look for good value for money bikes, or discounted bikes, in your area, or on the internet. Sales are slowing. There should be some bargains available from time to time.
(05-23-2023, 10:32 PM)ichitan Wrote:  There are so many possibilities, it would be unrealistic to list them all. Look for good value for money bikes, or discounted bikes, in your area, or on the internet. Sales are slowing. There should be some bargains available from time to time.

What brands should I look into more? People say that the bikes by Trek around $700-$800 are not going to be too good while some low level brands can have very good bikes for that money..

So if I know of some good local brands, that way I can see what they are offering..
(05-23-2023, 04:48 PM)Umer Wrote:  the goal of losing weight.

We don't know if you are just a bit overweight, or quite heavy. If you are quite heavy, take that into consideration when deciding which bike to buy.

(05-23-2023, 11:11 PM)Umer Wrote:  So if I know of some good local brands, that way I can see what they are offering..

I don't promise to have all the answers, but where is local? In the US? Where?

If you don't know much about bikes, I suggest starting with something inexpensive.

I don't buy expensive brands.

I like aluminum, for being light weight.

Recently I bought an aluminum 29 inch mountain bike, 3 by 8 speed. I am a bit on the heavy side, and spokes in the back wheel broke. I replaced them with thicker spokes. Now I have a good bike.
(05-24-2023, 12:15 AM)ichitan Wrote:  
(05-23-2023, 04:48 PM)Umer Wrote:  the goal of losing weight.

We don't know if you are just a bit overweight, or quite heavy. If you are quite heavy, take that into consideration when deciding which bike to buy.

(05-23-2023, 11:11 PM)Umer Wrote:  So if I know of some good local brands, that way I can see what they are offering..

I don't promise to have all the answers, but where is local? In the US? Where?

If you don't know much about bikes, I suggest starting with something inexpensive.

I don't buy expensive brands.

I like aluminum, for being light weight.

Recently I bought an aluminum 29 inch mountain bike, 3 by 8 speed. I am a bit on the heavy side, and spokes in the back wheel broke. I replaced them with thicker spokes. Now I have a good bike.

Yes I am on the quite heavy side. For that, should I just look into how much the bike can tolerate or are there other things too that I need to look at?

I am in the US. By local I mean Bike mart, Scheels, REI etc
Are you a person who will repair a bike yourself if something breaks? If you are, you could buy a less expensive bike, and repair it as necessary. If you wont repair it yourself, you should probably buy a stronger bike, which may be significantly more expensive.

A lot of adult bikes are rated to carry 100kg. If you are well over 100kg, you should probably buy a stronger bike.

You can search for 'bikes for heavy riders.'
(05-23-2023, 04:48 PM)Umer Wrote:  Hi All, I am looking to buy my first hybrid bike for the goal of losing weight.

To be honest the good popular brands have really expensive bikes so I was going through some forums and couple of options are:

I have really little knowledge about bikes so not sure how to evaluate a good used bike.

I think the best you can do is buy a used bike around $200-$300 and have it upgraded.

Consider upgrading the drivetrain components that can improve shifting performance and reduce weight like upgrading cassette, chain, and derailleurs. You could get a carbon or titanium trim on one of the components. Get a more ergonomic handlebar or an aerobar. Please get clipless pedals remove the cheap plastic ones.
Maybe the most important of all, search for frames which are compatible with the upgrades. You can save a ton of money but it's a bit tedious for a newbie.
You have not told us how heavy you are, which may affect which bike is ideal for you, but here is an example of the type of bike I would buy.

It is from Walmart. It is a 29 inch, aluminum frame, full suspension, mountain bike with 3 x 7 speeds. The regular price was $298. It is reduced to $124.

Particularly so you can get familiar with bikes, and have a better idea of what you want in the future.

With a bike like this, if something major breaks, or if it gets stolen, you have not lost a lot of money. There is a warranty, but I don't know what it covers.

I know, many others will advise you to buy a more expensive bike.

There are several things I like about this bike, including the aluminum frame, and full suspension.

From what I have seen on the internet, it seems having the suspension pivot where it is on this bike, is also better.

You can also replace the chain without breaking it. Somebody riding a long distance could carry a spare chain, and replace it on the side of the road, if the need arose. Most often, you are likely to replace the chain at home. With this bike, it is easier.
I understand budget is important, but $600-700 will leave you disappointed. Lug nut wheels, old inferior groups, rim brakes, heavy poorly produced Chinese Frames, etc. Almost daily and definitely weekly, I get noticed of a new bike available, road, MTB, gravel with decent components. If you can bump up your price range, you will be happier with a $1500-3000 bike that will give you years of satisfaction - if you go the maintenance.

(05-23-2023, 04:48 PM)Umerdateline='1684874933' Wrote:  Hi All, I am looking to buy my first hybrid bike for the goal of losing weight.

I would look at the Schwinn bikes as they are real good quality for the money. I am not sure you will like a rear shock because as you pedal it seems to bounce, so as for me I prefer a solid rear. Look to see if the bike supports your weight, ass the stress can lead to bike failure and possible injury. I was 245 and bought a bike for the same reason and am now 211. If you only plan to ride the bike on pavement I would not go knoby tires as it creates friction while riding on the pavement. Tires can always be changed to different type at a later time or once worn out. I loved my Schwinn hybrid bike and only paid 150 way back. If you’re not going to be doing 50 mile plus trips, which as a beginner I don’t believe you would this would be a great starter bike. You may want to upgrade the seat to something with more cushion and if you have a shock in the seat post will help as well.
(05-29-2023, 01:56 AM)mrajfura Wrote:  I would look at the Schwinn bikes as they are real good quality for the money. I am not sure you will like a rear shock because as you pedal it seems to bounce, so as for me I prefer a solid rear. ... You may want to upgrade the seat to something with more cushion and if you have a shock in the seat post will help as well.

I have seen on the internet, having the rear suspension pivot where it is on this bike results in less bobbing when you pedal (see the picture 3 posts above). I have not owned this model myself.

This bike is still for sale at $124, which is almost 60% off. At some time it will probably go back up to $298. Anyone wanting to buy one should get in quick.

Anyone wanting to buy a different model, I suggest keeping your eyes open for that type of bike being discounted.

Anyone who buys this model, or another inexpensive model, share what you think of it.
(05-30-2023, 08:41 PM)ichitan Wrote:  
(05-29-2023, 01:56 AM)mrajfura Wrote:  I would look at the Schwinn bikes as they are real good quality for the money. I am not sure you will like a rear shock because as you pedal it seems to bounce, so as for me I prefer a solid rear. ... You may want to upgrade the seat to something with more cushion and if you have a shock in the seat post will help as well.

I have seen on the internet, having the rear suspension pivot where it is on this bike results in less bobbing when you pedal (see the picture 3 posts above). I have not owned this model myself.

This bike is still for sale at $124, which is almost 60% off. At some time it will probably go back up to $298. Anyone wanting to buy one should get in quick.

Anyone wanting to buy a different model, I suggest keeping your eyes open for that type of bike being discounted.

Anyone who buys this model, or another inexpensive model, share what you think of it.

The bike is discontinued and almost impossible to find a Walmart that has one. At that price I was going to pick one up but am not able to as they are sold out. You have to buy it in store and no delivery available.

The bike is discontinued and almost impossible to find a Walmart that has one. At that price I was going to pick one up but am not able to as they are sold out. You have to buy it in store and no delivery available.
(06-02-2023, 08:58 AM)mrajfura Wrote:  The bike is discontinued and almost impossible to find a Walmart that has one. At that price I was going to pick one up but am not able to as they are sold out. You have to buy it in store and no delivery available.

Keep your eyes open for other good bikes for sale with decent discounts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Last Post: nextmatt