Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Stretching during a ride
As we all know that the pre-ride stretch is very important, as is the warmup portion of a ride. You dedicate that section to soft pedaling, a few deep breaths, and a few extra sips of water, maybe 3-5 miles, before getting serious. I'm talking 65-75 km rides here.

But what about during the ride? If there is no planned water stop where you can stretch, gather yourself together, and "restart" part two of the ride, you have to remain supple during the entire ride. By the way, I'm not a big fan of a mid-ride stop. I like to keep moving and recovering during the ride.

Fortunately, even as an older rider, I still am pretty flexible and am able to perform some stretching on the bike during a ride. We all know how to do a little neck stretch bringing the chin to the chest and rotating left to right. We come out of the saddle for a calf stretch, dropping our weight into the pedal. I do a little advanced skill, I think, by bringing my foot behind me and propping it up on the saddle for a quad stretch. Sometimes I stretch my whole torso back behind my saddle for a long back/torso stretch. Some shoulder rotations, fists on the hips, and so on.

How does everyone like to stretch during a ride?
I usually just get on the bike an go.

Since I ride almost every day, this isn't really an issue for me.

I only experience these types of issues after long periods of rest.

Everyone is going to be different of course, and it's not to say this type of this isn't important, cause it can be greatly helpful.
I am the same. I just get on the bike and go. Then I am not racing or anything like that.
(03-10-2023, 04:03 PM)ichitan Wrote:  I am the same. I just get on the bike and go. Then I am not racing or anything like that.

I get the idea of just get on your bike and ride, but we are all different. I've got a few years of riding in me 😉 and I need to get on my foam roller, get out my stick, get my calves ready, and have some coffee ☕. My minimum ride distance is 35 miles and I call that a quick ride. It's usually 45-60 miles and even after my morning warmup, I stretch on the road. Does anyone stretch while riding, or do you stop for a break and stretch at around the halfway mark?
(03-21-2023, 07:06 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  
(03-10-2023, 04:03 PM)ichitan Wrote:  I am the same. I just get on the bike and go. Then I am not racing or anything like that.

I get the idea of just get on your bike and ride, but we are all different. I've got a few years of riding in me 😉 and I need to get on my foam roller, get out my stick, get my calves ready, and have some coffee ☕. My minimum ride distance is 35 miles and I call that a quick ride. It's usually 45-60 miles and even after my morning warmup, I stretch on the road. Does anyone stretch while riding, or do you stop for a break and stretch at around the halfway mark?

I stretch while still riding and standing on pedals with feet level; especially on longer rides (+25 miles). Also, during rest stops and water breaks.
Out of habit I’ll do the calf stretches I’m
Not sure if it’s really needed but feels good to. I just stand up on the bike and push my heel down and toes up on the pedal stretching my calf’s. Maybe if it’s a long ride, I’ll sit up straight on the bike and stretch out the back by just straightening out or twisting it horizontally a little 🤘🏼