Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Ever broken a bone in a bike crash?
Let's hear your horror stories! I broke my arm just below my shoulder late at night on my commute home from work a few years ago. I was going fast down a hill and around a corner. It was a dark section of road and I did have a very bright light, but, I was not paying attention as much as I should have....I hit a cricket ball sized rock in the road and wiped out very hard. I came down with my full force on my shoulder and knew right away it was broken. Luckily my wife was still awake and answered when I called her. She came and picked me up and we went straight to the hospital.

That was a tough bone to heal too, fully six months before I was able to ride again Sad Needless to say I was very careful going down that corner on my way home every night after that!
My YouTube channel about life and riding bikes in Ecuador: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC53LAQO8WH782Tjr_N8WPOg
(01-14-2023, 07:47 PM)Jason in Ecuador Wrote:  Ever broken a bone in a bike crash?

No

But it is a serious risk. There can be one second between everything being good, and having serious injuries. It might not be your fault. You might be hit by a vehicle. There may be something unexpected on the track.

I try to do a balancing act between trying to be safe, and getting out and riding. There is no guarantee I wont have an accident in the future.

I have come off the bike a few times, but never in a situation that caused serious injuries.
I have broken a clavicle, at least that one that I went to the hospital for. Possibly some fingers that never got x-rayed.
(01-15-2023, 11:58 PM)Sybian Wrote:  I have broken a clavicle, at least that one that I went to the hospital for. Possibly some fingers that never got x-rayed.

Oh mate, that's rough! I've never broken my clavicle but I've heard it's really painful.
My YouTube channel about life and riding bikes in Ecuador: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC53LAQO8WH782Tjr_N8WPOg
Was about 26 when I broke the 5th metatarsal in my left hand. Was dropping off of some good sized cliffs, about 8-10 foot drops. Just didn't work out in my favor that one last attempt.
(01-14-2023, 07:47 PM)Jason in Ecuador Wrote:  Let's hear your horror stories! I broke my arm just below my shoulder late at night on my commute home from work a few years ago. I was going fast down a hill and around a corner. It was a dark section of road and I did have a very bright light, but, I was not paying attention as much as I should have....I hit a cricket ball sized rock in the road and wiped out very hard. I came down with my full force on my shoulder and knew right away it was broken. Luckily my wife was still awake and answered when I called her. She came and picked me up and we went straight to the hospital.

That was a tough bone to heal too, fully six months before I was able to ride again Sad Needless to say I was very careful going down that corner on my way home every night after that!

I had some serious face injuries and bruises from cycling. But this was back when I was a kid. I was trying some wheelies and what do you expect, I crashed face first straight on to tarmac. One of the worst days of my life.
I haven’t had anything to bad to myself happen but a friend of mine in college came damn close to death and had to be in intensive care in Denver hospital for a week or two.

We’re DH biking in Winter park and he went over the bars which wouldn’t have been to bad but when he hit the ground a stick when through one of his lungs and apparently tapped his heart. The bike patrol came and got him then when they got him down to the medical office at the base he puked blood everywhere because his punctured lung had filled with blood. And they took him to Denver where the doctors ended up saying it tapped his heart and they wouldn’t let him leave the hospital for at least a week if I remember right as they were afraid the heart tap could cause hear murmurs or serious problems.

But after bike patrol took him off, one of the patrollers told me I should find the stick as he might want it for a souvenir as he ripped it out as soon he got up. Ended up finding it and sure enough the first few inches of it was soaked in blood. Was pretty sketch but he ended up being all good
Ah, I feel for others reading your posts. @Jason in Ecuador, six full months of recovery - that's a long time without proper riding!

Luckily, I have never experienced any serious falls or broken bones (knocking on wood right now), but a bit less than two years ago I made a mistake and biked home after an exhausting day at the office ... it seems, I had food poisoning and was completely out of energy after 5-6 hours of fighting it while trying to work at the same time. I still biked home, but my focus/attention wasn't at its usual level. As a result, my MTB's front tyre caught a hole between a rail and cobbles (we have trams in my city), and down I went. Hit my hip quite badly, couldn't walk properly and had to call a cab. One of the worse days ... some three weeks until I could run again, but at least biking wasn't a problem.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
Yep, unfortunaly was hit inside Sunset Regional Park here in Las Vegas, car on wrong side of the road hit my rear wheel, I went down with a lot of force, and fractured my pelvic bone in 4 places. Driver did not stop, drove off without checking on me, yes I am still angry 18 months later as I try to recover enough to ride 20 miles without hip pain. There were no camera's in that area of the park and the car was in an area it should not have been.