Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Where do you put your phone when riding?
Hi guys, I've been riding for years and rarely encountered this problem, but when I did it was a pain in the arse. I normally put my phone in my MULE and ride on trails and use my smart watch if needed. I got new gloves that cover almost all of my wrists but provide the best grip. I can't use the watch anymore and I am looking for a place to keep my phone where I can easily access it instead of having to stop and open my backpack.

Any suggestions!!

Attached Files Image(s)

On top of the buffet
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
If commuting the phone is in a rear rack pack; not affected by any normal crash or weather and I don't need it until I reach my destination. Regular riding is what Painkiller does; stays at home. I don't need it to enjoy cycling (makes the ride even more enjoyable!); plus everyone around you has one anyways.
I leave my phone home. I can use the same phone for many years, and it does not get broken.
Hello Talha, hope you had a good riding day today. Like other people here, I used to leave my phone home or in my backpack all day. I do use a smartwatch primarily to record stats and not for navigation. But recently I needed to use my cellphone as the route I was bikepacking through wad only on RidewithGPS. So I put my phone in the chest pocket of my jacket or a top tube bag. That worked great.
Thanks Girish. It's about time I bought a new jacket. Might as well buy one with a front or sleeve pocket.
I like to take photos with my phone when I'm riding around so I carry it either in my jacket/coat pocket if it's cold, or here in Ecuador where it's mostly shorts weather, my phone is either in my jersey pocket if I'm on the road bike or in my shorts pocket if I'm on my single speed just doing errands...
My YouTube channel about life and riding bikes in Ecuador: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC53LAQO8WH782Tjr_N8WPOg
I leave my phone on the kitchen counter at home before I leave on a ride.
My pocket usually.

I have a mount for the phone but I don't use it really anymore.
I attach my phone to the cycle handle usually to check the directions.
(04-12-2023, 09:22 AM)harry525 Wrote:  According to leather stand, Use your phone screen while riding: handlebar mount, top tube pouch, or possibly arm band. Carry other items like water or spare layers: backpack, hip pack, or bike accessory bag. Protect your phone during rugged riding: bike accessory bag, well padded backpack or hip pack.

I must agree here. I have crashed a few times while on a single track. I flipped onto rocks, caught bars on trees, landed in a river, and more. My phone would not have survived had it been anywhere other than stored away from the danger.
Unless you feel you need to be watching something other than the trail you are on, keep your phone/electronic device in a waterproof padded enclosure where it cannot get damaged. I cannot wear a watch as it would be trashed quite easily on any given offroad ride except a fairly smooth double track or wider gravel trail. If your are already recording your ride, then you can always review your progress upon completion.
Usually I put my iPhone X in my seat bag, I have a holder but those stupid things they sell at bike shops keep breaking within 60 to 90 days, and some let the phone just fly right out and onto the pavement! The current phone holder has side clamps, but they don't clamp firmly enough, which is odd since it was made for cycling you would think the morons who call themselves engineers would have designed it better, so I have to put a wide rubber band over the holder and the phone to guarantee it will hold it in! When I commute to work I just put it in my backpack.
Wag more, bark less
When I road bike I have a a little bag on the middle of my handle bars that I can put a phone, wallet and or snack in. if I’m riding Bmx or mountain bike I just have a little side bag that basically the same size of the bag on the road bike but straps around my torso that I leave it in
(11-27-2022, 09:00 AM)Talha Wrote:  Hi guys, I've been riding for years and rarely encountered this problem, but when I did it was a pain in the arse. I normally put my phone in my MULE and ride on trails and use my smart watch if needed. I got new gloves that cover almost all of my wrists but provide the best grip. I can't use the watch anymore and I am looking for a place to keep my phone where I can easily access it instead of having to stop and open my backpack.

Any suggestions!!

Maybe try bluetooth headsets like Shokz and ask people to call you when you're out riding instead of sms or messenger, the smartwatch really is an easy replacement but ofcourse the grip your new glove offers will always trump phone access
I put it in a phone holder on the handlebar of my bike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Last Post: AndrewB

08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Chez