Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

What did you do with your bike today???
I went for a nice ride on the main street to the restaurant for lunch.
It has been a beautiful day.
Silver and cold today.

Rained.

But last night I had to bike to the post box to drop off a parcel. Today, I may as well need to go down to the store for aluminum foil.
I went biking to the park and then rode around the track. I also went to the grocery store, which was a little more difficult than I expected because there were lots of people around.
Think I'm going to do my conversion to Snow Speeder early this year.

Got everything I need to set up single speed. Running with 38/17 this year like I did my first year.

Last year I did 38/16 and it was better on bare lands, but not as good on the actual snow, especially the soft packed stuff.
(11-24-2022, 08:04 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Think I'm going to do my conversion to Snow Speeder early this year.

Got everything I need to set up single speed. Running with 38/17 this year like I did my first year.

Last year I did 38/16 and it was better on bare lands, but not as good on the actual snow, especially the soft packed stuff.

But "What did you do with your bike TODAY???" was the question; not what are going to do next year. I think about doing a lot of things to my bikes, but they are not germane to the topic at hand.

I modified single front ring to a double ring, added 50s Simplex suicide shifter. Also, added a chainstay tensioner to account for the rear derailleur design which was not capable of removing chain slack when operating on the small ring. Then I rode it to test the new setup. I did that today.
I tortured it with a snowy, snowy commute. Winter has arrived here in Northern Europe. I planned on changing the chain for my 1x11 today but it seems that I will postpone til winter rides end Smile
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(11-24-2022, 10:29 PM)Jake1 Wrote:  
(11-24-2022, 08:04 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Think I'm going to do my conversion to Snow Speeder early this year.

But "What did you do with your bike TODAY???" was the question; not what are going to do next year. I think about doing a lot of things to my bikes, but they are not germane to the topic at hand.

I modified single front ring to a double ring, added 50s Simplex suicide shifter. Also, added a chainstay tensioner to account for the rear derailleur design which was not capable of removing chain slack when operating on the small ring. Then I rode it to test the new setup. I did that today.

Wow. So rude.

In that case, I had picked out the remaining sticks and leaves that remained from me plowing the living hell out the leaf mounds we had. They were clogging up my low gears and causing the chain to skip.
(11-25-2022, 06:52 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  
(11-24-2022, 10:29 PM)Jake1 Wrote:  

Wow. So rude.

In that case, I had picked out the remaining sticks and leaves that remained from me plowing the living hell out the leaf mounds we had. They were clogging up my low gears and causing the chain to skip.

Not rude, just factual. I answered with information related to the topic at hand. Please read the thread header so your answer applies accordingly. What is rude was your sexist remark made by yourself: reapthawhirlwind says, "I don't think you want to be traveling that kind of distance manually as a woman." Wow. So rude. The site must have censored it because it was removed; for being rude.

I installed my condorino bar to continue my build-up of an Italian commuter.
I went out with a friend's hybrid bike and 2 hours later, it started raining. idk why but pedaling in the rain is so much harder. Anyway, I rode the bike home in the rain. Not a fun thing to do with another person's bike.
(11-25-2022, 11:56 PM)Jake1 Wrote:  Not rude, just factual. I answered with information related to the topic at hand. Please read the thread header so your answer applies accordingly. What is rude was your sexist remark made by yourself: reapthawhirlwind says, "I don't think you want to be traveling that kind of distance manually as a woman." Wow. So rude. The site must have censored it because it was removed; for being rude.

I installed my condorino bar to continue my build-up of an Italian commuter.

It is rude, because it was not necessary to correct. You went out of your way to make a controversial statement in a mannerism that was instigating. You are essentially baiting and flaming. And for the record, my comment was not sexist because it didn't reflect any aspect of inferiority or juxtaposition. The poster was a causal woman looking for advice on commuting. Particularly, seeking advice on ebikes. This means she seeks leisure in her commute. ebikes can be very heavy, and it will be especially grueling for a woman to have to pedal an incredibly long distance manually. It was a yellow flag for her to beware she doesn't get herself into the exact opposite of what she's seeking. I hope this sheds some light, since you don't seem to understand the nature of context in politically correct violations.

I fully converted my GT Tempest into the Snow Speeder. Had to convert the rear axle to bolted to fit into the frame. I have a very wide 26x2.3 CST Rock Hawk in the back (for traction in the snow). Works amazing, catches balance in the slosh like magic. However, I'm still a little too close for comfort, so it looks like I'll have to order a 205mm axle from overseas to give myself the extra room I'd like to have. About to order some green promax pads for the brakes so I can have Christmas colors with my alloy red calipers.
It's too cold to be riding here Sad
Went out for a ride on the condorino; added a touring accessory for the trip.

Took a poll with friends and coworkers on if a certain comment is sexist. The unanimous answer: Yes!
(12-01-2022, 02:19 PM)Jake1 Wrote:  Went out for a ride on the condorino; added a touring accessory for the trip.

Took a poll with friends and coworkers on if a certain comment is sexist. The unanimous answer: Yes!

Well, you and your friends don't understand the context of sexism.

It's like not understanding the spirit of the law.

It's intolerant and unprofessional to force project your assumptive conclusions, and call a person sexist when they weren't being so. And that was not the context of what was said—or the points of interest that the statement highlighted. It's just as bad as actually making a sexist remark. You honestly think it's okay to just go around throwing convictions at people like that?

Unbelievable!

That's so contradictory.

It is not acceptable. You have a responsibility to inquire a person's context where it's potentially ambiguous. If you throw a conviction at someone, you're putting yourself in the hot seat with your own defamatory, villainizing statements. Do you have diplomatic immunity or something? It is rude, and such corrections as you've made were instigating. They were not necessary. They were made in a mannerism that entices conflict. Because they went out of the way to belittle and correct someone on unnecessary basis.

I am a paid contributor here. And I absolutely cannot stand to think that anyone would be made to feel so uncomfortable and insulted when freely discussing anything bike related, even in threads where it's not directly on subject.

Please consider this a civilized, fair warning not to backseat moderate anyone like this on these forums.

Back on the topic

I had to swap the chain on my snow speeder. I needed to tighten it and didn't want to cut the KMC chain I have. I was thinking about switching the chain tensioner over to a Shimano Alfine. I think the KMC chain will be perfect as it is, so I'm trying to conserve it. My current chain tensioner is a rink dink one. It gets the job done, but has seen two winters now and I think it nearing the end of performance.

Once my new Promax B-3 Airflow brake pads arrive, I'll be running true Christmas colors with the red calipers I have. It'll be nice to have new brake pads on for the winter.
Removed OE bottom bracket and replaced with cartridge BB having extended length to adjust chainline.

Talked with a behavioral psychologist and she determined that someone who comments on another's capability and aligns it to a specific gender has got some sort of superiority complex, is probably sexist, and is in a state of denial as to what they posted to the general public without care or concern for another's feelings. She agreed that it was correct to delete a post on a public forum where proper decorum is expected. Don't you wonder why your post was deleted? Take a hint. Sorry you are thin skinned relating to my initial post here, since the main issue was to submit appropriate comments per the thread title. I never wanted to expose your lack of decorum and since I only pointed out that you made a comment that does not apply to this thread, but which you took offense to then I guess all of these nonrelated comments are just fine by your standards.

Also, someone who makes an assumption of another based on opinion ("The poster was a causal woman...", "Particularly, seeking advice on ebikes..") must again not have read that individual's initial post prior to commenting. The individual is certainly not a casual cyclist having participated in at least one triathlon (nothing casual about that), and professes to cycle 10 miles a day commuting (apparently increasing to 15 miles a day in the post in question). That would be one of those, cough cough, "double centuries" every month (I guess that's casual also). No mention of any e-bike in the post (Thread: "Bikes for commuters"); only wanting advice on bicycles ("What type of bike should I be looking for?"). Nothing directly referencing e-bikes there; I guess you can read minds through the internet ether.

Well, enough of this; got more bike work, real work, and a better site to go on where sexist comments don't just get your post deleted, but just outright get you banned. Sorry I won't be around to read any lame reply; you just can't reason with those in blind denial of the facts. Ciao.
I agree, I ignore ReapThaWhirlwind comment on my account, because of his rude, sexist comment. His account should be deleted from this platform, but he probably would create new ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-27-2021, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Nikko