Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Why should I buy an e-bike?
My wife has joint issues and with an electric bike, she can go on rides with me.
I would love to have an e-bike for exercise, my ailments and to stop having to use my gas guzzler every time I go to the store.
Great for commute, fun to ride
(07-16-2022, 04:45 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
The question is loud and clear - let's discuss the need of an e-bike. Why should one buy it?
Share your pros and cons.

These bikes are so heavy and I honestly don't know a place where I could test one out to even see if I like it.
E-Bikes are Great for short trips around town, instead of using your car. Save money on Gas, Enjoy the outdoors, improve the environment by producing less CO2!
The question is loud and clear - let's discuss the need of an e-bike. Why should one buy it?

As I am getting older, having an e-ike would help those old aching muscles from working too hard and plus it saves me money on the gas bill to go do some local errands.

The con of owning an e-bike is when it would break down and the costs involved.
An electric bike makes it easier to ride. Less worry about if you can do it. Peddle along with it and you will slowly work up to being better.
I love the exercise I get with my bicycle - but there's always going to be days where you wish you had a little boost. Whether it's because you're a little under the weather, or you have an injury or the wind is not in your favor - having an e-bike to get around town is always a win-win because those days come about for everyone.
I purchase a eBike last May, have enjoyed riding it a lot. I commuted with it for a few months, and then retired because I was offered a deal I could not refused.

I modded the KBO Hurricane eBike to reduce the weight, went from 37 pounds, to 32 pounds, and I found it to be much easier to carry up and down the stairs. Drop bars for me as I find 40 miles rides to long to use flat mountain bike style handlebars.

I have no freight elevator in my building, nor throttle to jump up the stairs. Need to take bicycle off the street level or it would disappear rapidly in my neighborhood.
(07-20-2022, 02:54 AM)JR Namida Wrote:  I purchase a eBike last May, have enjoyed riding it a lot. I commuted with it for a few months, and then retired because I was offered a deal I could not refused.

I modded the KBO Hurricane eBike to reduce the weight, went from 37 pounds, to 32 pounds, and I found it to be much easier to carry up and down the stairs. Drop bars for me as I find 40 miles rides to long to use flat mountain bike style handlebars.

I have no freight elevator in my building, nor throttle to jump up the stairs. Need to take bicycle off the street level or it would disappear rapidly in my neighborhood.

Hi JR,

I was curious if you noticed any range gain due to the 5 pound weight reduction. I realize it is not much percentage wise given rider and bike weight combined. I am fairly lightweight so it might be more noticeable for someone my size (140 lbs), but I just wanted to know if it was measureable.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
With the cost of gas right now we all should be biking. Since we live outside of town, E bikes would be very beneficial. I don't see any cons on owning one.

Just for the fun of it for real.
LIKE A BIKER WITHOUT THE RISK
E-bikes changed my life when i rode one for the first time, allowed me to get to places i would never be able to get to on a normal pedal bike without dying of exhaustion. Also, i would drive my car way way wayyyyy less if i had an e-bike, which would be great for the earth and global warming!
my walking is not so good
Definitely for long-distance biking it's ideal to have the ebike!
Works great when carrying heavy gears
I like ebikes because you can ride them in a traditional manner to get some exercise and also you can use them for basic transportation getting around town.
My son could have greater freedom with an e-bike.
This e-bike will help me get to work and other places a lot faster than a regular bike. It'll motivate me to exercise more and will help me keep up with my husband (who I always lose on bike rides because he goes so fast) haha.