Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Helmets these days?
Hi all, my last Mountain bike helmet purchase was nearly 20 years ago. I'm noticing things have changed considerably as I expected. It leaves me wondering how to pick one though. I searched and read a little bit here in the forum so I'm aware of MIPS for example but have some other questions.

For example, back when I last bought a helmet it was considered smart to get one with SNELL certification. I'm not seeing much of this in my quick internet browsing, are there still certifications for helmets to consider?

I don't want a junk helmet, but I'm not looking to spend what I did on my Motocross helmet either. I'm broke most of the time, but I know it's worth it to spend money on a brain bucket. I seem to be gravitating towards Giro's designs as I started looking, I just like how they look and the pricing on the ones I've looked at is reasonable.

Any tips to help me choose the best bang for my buck and keep my noggin in one piece? I'll probably go to my LBS to try some on as well, but I like to browse the web to narrow things down first.
(07-04-2022, 05:07 PM)claudiajohnston Wrote:  Hi all, my last Mountain bike helmet purchase was nearly 20 years ago. I'm noticing things have changed considerably as I expected. It leaves me wondering how to pick one though. I searched and read a little bit here in the forum so I'm aware of MIPS for example but have some other questions.

For example, back when I last bought a helmet it was considered smart to get one with SNELL certification. I'm not seeing much of this in my quick internet browsing, are there still certifications for helmets to consider?

I don't want a junk helmet, but I'm not looking to spend what I did on my Motocross helmet either. I'm broke most of the time, but I know it's worth it to spend money on a brain bucket. I seem to be gravitating towards Giro's designs as I started looking, I just like how they look and the pricing on the ones I've looked at is reasonable.
How to measure for a bike helmet
Any tips to help me choose the best bang for my buck and keep my noggin in one piece? I'll probably go to my LBS to try some on as well, but I like to browse the web to narrow things down first.

no response to this
Hi Claudia!
Nice to have you here! Here's a thread with a useful link to take a look at: https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-7734.html

I personally ride with Giro.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(07-05-2022, 06:27 PM)claudiajohnston Wrote:  
(07-04-2022, 05:07 PM)claudiajohnston Wrote:  Hi all, my last Mountain bike helmet purchase was nearly 20 years ago. I'm noticing things have changed considerably as I expected. It leaves me wondering how to pick one though. I searched and read a little bit here in the forum so I'm aware of MIPS for example but have some other questions.

no response to this

Welcome Claudia,
Please be patient; some of users are slower than others, myself being one of them.
I can't say anything much about helmets in general other than to get one that you feels fits you best for both safety and comfort. I have only bought 2 new helmets (modern for their era of purchase) for myself over many decades of riding, and they range from time trial style to leisure style. I still have many others and have used a lot of varieties; some of which provided the barest minimum of protection.
I purchased a multitude of helmets as private or online sales. Check craigslist or whatever similar site (I have used Subito in Italy) is available to you. I have never bought a "used" (new old stock, or slightly worn) helmet that appeared to be used in any other manner except some wear/soiling to padding (all replaceable). You can find very good helmets online, but I would only buy in personal so you can properly inspect and verify fit. Do not buy any used helmet that appears to have been in any accident, and/or shows signs of abuse/wear (cracks, scraches/scuffs, abnormal holes, customizations, etc.); replace pads regardless of condition, and clean interior.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Hope I am doing this right. I haven’t posted on here in a long time. Anyway, I can suggest the helmet that I got on Amazon. It is a Giro Mens Caden MIPS. A big plus with this helmet is MIPS(Multi-Directional Impact Protection System to redirect energy in a crash).
I am currently using and love my Bontrager Rally.
Bontrager Rally WaveCel Mountain Bike Helmet
Go to REI or some bike shop and try them on. Fit is more important than anything else. I bought a Troy Lee Jones, a3. Super expensive, but it fit perfectly. Prior to walking into REI, I had never heard of the brand.
Bicycle helmets nowadays need to meet CPSC safety requirements to ensure if you have a spill, your head stays in one piece. If it is a legitimate helmet, it will have the CPSC label. CPSC stands for Consumer Product Safety Commission, the government agency that oversees the safety of consumer products.

Claudia!,

I have purchased a few helmets since I started riding again in 2010.
In my opinion: do not purchase a used helmet even if it looks good & undamaged in its original boxing.
I have searched the net for known brands and read many reviews, and tried friends helmets, then shopped by price.
I have an oval shaped head and my current helmet is a POC Ventral Air, fits better and it moves more air than my last helmet a Rudy Project. I really like the straps and their set-up, but I also liked the straps on the Rudy Project.

Better than my advice: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-road-bike-helmet/buying-advice

Wish you the best in you next helmet.

JR
As others have said definitely buy from a store so you can try them on. Look for MIPS models, and you'll be pleased to see that the modern enduro style of riding has filtered down into helmet design and there are now all day MTB helmets that feature much more protection at the bottom of the cranium than the lids we used to use from the past.

Main thing though is to find one that feels comfortable and has enough ventilation for the climate you're riding in. I also still ride with a roadie cycle cap underneath to catch the sweat but that's personal preference.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-09-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Zviedrs