Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Biking and running apps
Information requested about biking and running apps. I run and bike to stay in shape; not too hard core. Mostly run and bike on trails, not roads. Around Redmond, WA (East of Seattle).

I picked up a Garmin Edge 530 and Forerunner 45, Garmin chest strap heart rate monitor and also have an iPhone. I want to do a bit of tracking miles logged, calories burned, steps, heart rate, track and plan routes etc. Just a quick look and there is a large array of apps for MacBook and iPhone out there - Basecamp; Strava; Trailforks; and a lot more. And every time you get on an exercise machine at the gym it asks if you want to sign up for some new one. Do I need all of these? Are they somewhat duplicative of each other? What's a good basic set if I don't want to take the time to learn 5 new apps?
(05-22-2022, 12:53 AM)RedmondSteve Wrote:  Information requested about biking and running apps. I run and bike to stay in shape; not too hard core. Mostly run and bike on trails, not roads. Around Redmond, WA (East of Seattle).

I picked up a Garmin Edge 530 and Forerunner 45, Garmin chest strap heart rate monitor and also have an iPhone. I want to do a bit of tracking miles logged, calories burned, steps, heart rate, track and plan routes etc. Just a quick look and there is a large array of apps for MacBook and iPhone out there - Basecamp; Strava; Trailforks; and a lot more. And every time you get on an exercise machine at the gym it asks if you want to sign up for some new one. Do I need all of these? Are they somewhat duplicative of each other? What's a good basic set if I don't want to take the time to learn 5 new apps?

I think they are somewhat meaningless for the most point unless you trying to train to break a record or qualify for some major event (Olympics, World Championships, etc.); or if you have a heart/health condition that requires monitoring.

I had first gotten a "cyclometer" back in the late 80s, but found that even though it was accurate and functioned quite well, it became fairly useless in a short period of time due providing the nearly identical data for the routes I would take. Unless you need to know what your performance/vitals stats are every moment, then I would only use any device(s) sparingly.

Most of the time I'm taking a familiar route and already know its topographical data and my performance data; neither of which really change much except for uncontrollable cirmcumstances (i.e. road/trail/path contruction/alteration, stop lights/signs, emergency vehicles, weather, etc.).

Since the many people are carrying their smart phone with them during exercise, training, events, etc. than to me it makes sense just to use what your phone is capable of. You can stack app on app and run them concurrently for a comparison of like data sets (performance, health, topographical) and then make a decision on what you fits your needs the best.

I just did my normal "quick out and back" 9 mile route yesterday since rain was forecast for the rest of the day. I don't know how many times I've ridden it; but I know how far it is, how long it takes to ride it, how exhausted I'll be after doing it. I don't carry a phone or anything unless I'm in remote or unknown locations. I will some times put an old cyclometer on a bike (yet no phone) when using a new course or local touring even though much of that data can be monitored by a phone (speeds-actual/max/avg.; distance-trip/accumulative; times).

Free yourself from the data and monitoring once in while and just enjoy what you're doing for the sake of doing it. I know I had great rides yesterday, one a 5 mile leisure cruise with a friend, the other my 9 mile run. I built-up my friend's bike and intentionally installed a cyclometer knowing that my friend would rarely carry a phone and he wanted to keep track of essentially just the mileage and avg. speed since I told that he needed to ride 2 and 1/7th miles a day (15 miles/week) at approximately 10 mph.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(05-22-2022, 04:52 PM)Jesper Wrote:  [quote='RedmondSteve' pid='43677' dateline='1653195212']
Information requested about biking and running apps. I run and bike to stay in shape; not too hard core. Mostly run and bike on trails, not roads. Around Redmond, WA (East of Seattle).

Try a few out to see which features you like. Some of my biking buddies love Strava, but I didn’t. I use MapMyFitness just because it tracks walks, runs & bike rides. All I need is a basic tracking of speed/distance/time to compare against myself, and having a map of the workout is a bonus.

None of these apps are all that perfect for exact specs, but I’m not training for the Olympics.
For cycling, I’m a fan of Ride With GPS. It’s a well supported comprehensive app.
Funny, I went from only having a cateye bike "computer" less than 10 years ago, to using five apps and trackers. There was nothing for running and swimming that I knew about before then.
1- Fitbit - swim, bike, run, spin, hike
2 - Bryton 320 bike computer
3 - Strava - links to the Bryton and used for running and had the ability to manually enter workouts and swim data.
4 - Relive - also links to Bryton for bike and I love the 3D video
5 - Map My Ride & Map My Run

For data results and comparison they are all close. Auto pause varies so data will vary as does elevation and avg speed.

They all have worldwide community links.

Do I need them all? No. They all have premium services that I dont subscribe to but would be more useful for competitive athletes for better stats and comparisons.

Have a nice ride!
(09-30-2022, 09:47 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  Funny, I went from only having a cateye bike "computer" less than 10 years ago, to using five apps and trackers. There was nothing for running and swimming that I knew about before then.
1- Fitbit - swim, bike, run, spin, hike
2 - Bryton 320 bike computer
3 - Strava - links to the Bryton and used for running and had the ability to manually enter workouts and swim data.
4 - Relive - also links to Bryton for bike and I love the 3D video
5 - Map My Ride & Map My Run

For data results and comparison they are all close. Auto pause varies so data will vary as does elevation and avg speed.

They all have worldwide community links.

Do I need them all? No. They all have premium services that I dont subscribe to but would be more useful for competitive athletes for better stats and comparisons.

Have a nice ride!

Thanks for the info Spinman; I still do not use any online stuff (not always available where I bike), but I still use wired and wireless cyclometers which provide very accurate distance and other data when properly set-up. I don't care much about all the other stuff since I am well beyond any competitive age and condition, and I generally already know the distances of, and the time it takes to ride my courses.

What are you riding, and where in FL? I am up north near G-ville and Jax.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...