Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

bridgestone bicycle
HI. I have recently acquired a 12 speed Bridgestone RS 1500 bicycle in excellent condition except for the tires that I will be replacing. My problem is other than its old (80's best guess) I cant find anything online about it. Not even on the Bridgestone web pages. Any info would be appreciated.
Bikes like this are made for promotional means.

They're not series types of bikes. They're just a one-of run intended to advertise the brand.

Whoever made it, likely has a series type frame that was used to produce this for Bridgestone.

Whatever you really need to know about the bike can be surveyed with the bike in hand.

What exactly were you curious about?
(03-31-2022, 12:34 PM)sal j tragale Wrote:  HI. I have recently acquired a 12 speed Bridgestone RS 1500 bicycle in excellent condition except for the tires that I will be replacing. My problem is other than its old (80's best guess) I cant find anything online about it. Not even on the Bridgestone web pages. Any info would be appreciated.
Bridgestone was much more than an advertising gimmick. They were were originally a branch of the Bridgestone Tire Company, but they had their own factory and made their frames inhouse. They made some high end racing and mountain bikes, and were know for providing very good overall quality even on lower end models. I know they made bikes into the '00s. I don't know what year the "RS" series came out; I think "RS" stood for "road sport" (but I could be wrong). More than likely the level of your bike would be indicated by the tubing used and the component groupset fitted to it; if Shimano 600 series components than it would be an above average road bike from the early to mid 80's or so (Shimano 105 groupset was from 86/87 and later). "RB" series were their racing bikes (highest being the "RB-1), but I don't know the significance of the 1500 number on your bike.

A photo of your bike might help some. Also, you can probably date it to within a year if the original parts are still on it since Shimano and Sun Tour had date codes stamped on most parts giving month and year of manufacture of the specific part; frames were often one year later than the parts' dates. If you provide some date codes it would help. Shimano used a 2 letter date code (first letter=year, 2nd letter=month; "A"=1976, "B"=1977, etc., except 1974 was "Y' and 1975 was "Z"; months: "A"=January, "B"=Febuary, etc.)
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I meant to say typically. I looked into this and see that Bridgestone has an entire venture into the bike industry.

It appears they are still making bikes aimed at the higher end market.

Yours though, is obviously dated, and relates to the high profit era based on steel frames (marketed to appeal on durability).
Bikes from the 80s (and 70s) were much more appropriately priced. Is was not about "high profits" made from selling a few higher priced bikes, but instead high volume sales. New bikes now are vastly overpriced for what you get compared to bikes from 35-40 years ago when fit with comparable components for the time. If you had bought any quality bike (like Bridgestone) brand new in the 80s you would know; I have purchased new bikes in the 80s; great handmade bikes for the cost ($200-$300) and no replacement of components required since they were made to last. This is why you can find many early bikes with original components on them still working flawlessly; I ride 50 year old bikes without replacing anything other than chains or sometimes aluminum cogs. Yes, steel is durable; exactly why professionals used it until technology allowed for carbon to become choice, but primarily due to weight and certainly not durability. No carbon fiber frame would handle any crash I've been in and have been usable for anything but a boat anchor (no good for that either!). Only one bent fork on a steel frame which was fixed and safely used for thousands of miles without issue.
Take care,
Jesper

(03-31-2022, 12:34 PM)sal j tragale Wrote:  HI. I have recently acquired a 12 speed Bridgestone RS 1500 bicycle in excellent condition except for the tires that I will be replacing. My problem is other than its old (80's best guess) I cant find anything online about it. Not even on the Bridgestone web pages. Any info would be appreciated.

In 1986 road bicycles top end were using ISO 622 mm - 700C tires. Link to read more info: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1986/index.html#44

I did not locate your model, but question have you taken a wheel to your local bike shop? As I would think if it is a road bike it would be a ISO 622 mm or 700c, or maybe ISO 630mm 27 inch...

You probably will need tubes & rim strips, in addition to the tires.

JR
(04-05-2022, 12:52 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
Bridgestone was much more than an advertising gimmick. They were were originally a branch of the Bridgestone Tire Company, but they had their own factory and made their frames inhouse. They made some high end racing and mountain bikes, and were know for providing very good overall quality even on lower end models. I know they made bikes into the '00s. I don't know what year the "RS" series came out; I think "RS" stood for "road sport" (but I could be wrong). More than likely the level of your bike would be indicated by the tubing used and the component groupset fitted to it; if Shimano 600 series components than it would be an above average road bike from the early to mid 80's or so (Shimano 105 groupset was from 86/87 and later). "RB" series were their racing bikes (highest being the "RB-1), but I don't know the significance of the 1500 number on your bike.

A photo of your bike might help some. Also, you can probably date it to within a year if the original parts are still on it since Shimano and Sun Tour had date codes stamped on most parts giving month and year of manufacture of the specific part; frames were often one year later than the parts' dates. If you provide some date codes it would help. Shimano used a 2 letter date code (first letter=year, 2nd letter=month; "A"=1976, "B"=1977, etc., except 1974 was "Y' and 1975 was "Z"; months: "A"=January, "B"=Febuary, etc.)

it has the shimano 6oo series equipment. I am guessing its a 1986-87 model. Its in great shape and everything works as should. I am curious in it's value. Found one that sold in germany last year for 450 euro.
(04-12-2022, 08:33 PM)sal j tragale Wrote:  
(04-05-2022, 12:52 AM)Jesper Wrote:  

it has the shimano 6oo series equipment. I am guessing its a 1986-87 model. Its in great shape and everything works as should. I am curious in it's value. Found one that sold in germany last year for 450 euro.

I cannot give a true estimate of value unless detailed photos are provided. Without seeing the bike, it having a 600 groupset, and assuming everything functions as it should I would guess around $250-$350 depending on your local market. If it sold for €450/$500 I would be surprised. If the example you saw sold is the same model and condition as yours I would say that it got a better than average price. I still do not know what grade of tubing was used for the bike frame or features. Better rims/tires can add some value depending on what they are, and that may have been a contributing factor in the bike which was sold. Do not base your value solely on the sale of another bike even if it is identical in every way, regarding both parts and condition. The regional market and an individual buyer's desires are often very large factors determining a selling value over an actual value.
Take care,
Jesper

[....
Take care,
Jesper

(04-07-2022, 04:49 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Bikes from the 80s (and 70s) were much more appropriately priced. Is was not about "high profits", but instead high volume sales. New bikes now are vastly overpriced for what you get compared to bikes from 35-40 years ago when fit with comparable components for the time. If you had bought any quality bike (like Bridgestones) brand new in the 80s you would know; I have purchased new bikes in the 80s; great handmade bikes for the cost ($200-$300) and no replacement of components required since they were made to last. This is why you can find many early bikes with original components on them still working flawlessly; I ride 50 year old bikes without replacing anything other than chains or sometimes aluminum cogs. Yes, steel is durable; exactly why professionals used it until technology allowed for carbon to become choice, but primarily due to weight and certainly not durability. No carbon fiber frame would handle any crash I've been in and have been usable for anything but a boat anchor (no good for that either!). Only one bent fork on a steel frame which was fixed and safely used for thousands of miles without issue.

Bridgestone story: I have/had two Bridgestones, an XO-3 that I bought in 1994 and an RBT that a friend actually just gave me when he went recumbent in 2000. I am getting lazy in my old age, so when I decided to replace the chain, cassette, and shifters on the XO-3, I took it to a bike shop. Next day, the shop called and said that the frame was cracked. When I had retrieved the bike and stripped everything off the frame to make it easier to examine, I found that the seat tube socket on the bottom bracket lug was broken all the way around. Not the tube, not the brazing, but the lug itself. I have no idea how long I rode it with the seat tube essentially totally detached. The bike had about 12,000 miles on it, usually with 26x1.5 in tires and I weigh 100 (that's in kg, it sounds better that way. I'm not worried about the RBT which I still ride because anything can happen, at least once. Go figure. The frame is now hanging on my back fence, where it stirs memories.

Any serial number or photos of components?
Bridgestone made all kinds of bikes, including children's bikes.

On the sheldonbrown website there are downloadable historic catalogues of Bridgestone bikes.

https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/
Please understand that this is a "Zombie" thread where the "OP" is no longer following.

If folks want to expand on Bridgestone Bikes as a dedicated thread than I will be happy to provide all of my knowledge and experience of these bikes and not just more generalities that do nothing to inform/progress the conversation started by the "OP".

We can use "Sheldon Brown's/Harris Cyclery's" as a reference point to many brands of bikes, components, and methods of repair and maintenance. It is an excellent reference source up to a certain point. So let's just put that out there for any and everyone unless you are talking about a very specifically identified model of a bike or component; some of which may be addressed on the "S. Brown" site and some/many of which may not be addressed. I generally assume that most folks asking questions here are not going to take much time looking online at specific sites since if they had they, in most cases, not bother to submit an inquiry to the community on this site after being able to locate the info elsewhere..

Please look at the thread date (03/31/2022) and see if your comment relates DIRECTLY TO (12 speed Bridgestone RS 1500 bicycle) a specific model/type/or brand question, or only to a very general generic portion of question. Specifics need to be submitted only if directly related to the "OP's" thread; or submitted separately as a new thread dealing more generally with a bike brand, model, or component. There are always generalities, be they questions or comments; but even then they should be targeted to what the "OP" is trying to get addressed. Just look at this thread and see what I am talking about: the first response did nothing to address the "OP's" query and unfortunately was wrong regarding the limited information that was provided (almost as if the respondent knew nothing about what the "OP" was asking about). There is a vast amount of cycling knowledge that I do not possess, but I will not just respond with a comment that does nothing to help the "OP" answer their question, or only provides an "uneducated/inexperienced" answer based on my opinion without acknowledging that it is an opinion and/or knowledge based on hearsay, or is anecdotal.

As a note; most bike companies (smaller and larger, even some artisan builders) made low to higher end racing bikes, touring bikes, commuter bikes, children's bikes, and/or misc. specialty bikes; and then added mtb's and more (hybrids, gravel, etc.) later into the 80s/90s and beyond. This is nothing new and has been going on for 100 years. I speak on this as someone who owns and works on bicycles (production and custom; mostly road, but some early off-road) from the 1920's and newer; and I still feel like an idiot. I would be happy to start an in-depth thread regarding the history, technological development, and marketing of bikes if that would take care of all of the general comments that quite often are common sense and/or readily found online and in cycling publications (most of which can be accessed online) through the years; and/or directly from manufacturer/shop sources, etc.
Take care,
Jesper