Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bicycle painting
I hope this is in the right place if not it will be moved. This is going to be a lot of fun for me I have painted a lot of cars in my life time and now I want to paint one of my old bicycles. I have been told that my bicycle is not worth a penny. I don't care what people think of my bike. It's an old Roadmaster built back in the 70s. It was giving to me by a guy that both my wife and I like a lot. I have everything to redo it. I have to strip the paint off a year go and prime it. for some reason I never did finish it. Now that I am back riding a lot I now want to finish. I know I put more money in to it than it may have cost to buy new. But I really don't care its the fun of doing things and see how well it can turn out. I am not sure what color it will be as of yet.

Does anyone know what colors RoadMaster bicycle came in back in the 70s? I know the paint alone will cost more than the bike is worth but to me its going to make me happy to give it to some one after I get her done. It's like she was calling me to help her out to bring life back in to me. Funny huh I have thought about pearl green or maybe pearl red but I do like green a lot. So if any of you here have any idea on what color might look great on it let me know I can't wait until this spring to get her painted. What ever color it turns out to be bet she will look good and I get to be the first one to ride her again thats the sweet part of it to me. I know I have way to much in it like I said but who can put a price on some kids face when they get this one of a kind bicycle for free. This is just one of my hobbies I have like all hobbies they cost to much lol...P.S. I will post pics of it when I get done with it so wait until this spring then start to look for it she will be a looker.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
That sounds like a GREAT project! Your correct in your thinking about the worth of somethings value to one's self. As long as you are content with the achievements you do then I am happy for you. This is actually a pretty good thread to start. I don't know how to paint anything, but this is something I am wanting to learn. I can offer you this picture I found of a 1970 AMF Roadmaster.

http://dobox.com/find?q=70%20roadmaster%20bicycle&sid=1262576928.7062-v3-33fd2a89d93853b545a52978c561f19f&aid=101
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks Bill and that pic makes me want to pain it pearl green more now. As far as you painting one its easy if you have the tools. Which I have here. Me and my dad did a Model T 1925 car back in the 70s it was all black but it turn out good last I heard about our T it was in Ca. The hard part is getting all the old paint off. Then you just have to prime it let it dry a few days and the light sand it then put on the color you want it really is easy to do. A good air compressor and paint gun and you are set to go. It's fun and you learn a lot too. Can't wait till spring gets here now.
Good luck! If you have the tools and the knowledge painting a bike is possible. I'd never do it again, though, since I lack both... and powder coats are cheap and durable. You'll just have to rechase (hm, right word?) the threads, and for me that would have meant to find somebody who still has the tools for a French bottom bracket...
Tools I have them not much that I don't have lol. Or I can make some of the tools I would need. I have all kinds of taps and dies. I like to use auto paint and then a clear coat on top guess I don't think about how it will turn because I know it will look good the right tools always help but now its to cold to do it here. But come spring its a done deal can't wait till I can post pics of it. When you build engine from the ground up with all the power you want and it runs good you have to have a lot of tools I'm lucky in this way my dad showed me how to do so much in his life time. And it was always fun to work with him the Model T we had was a blast to restore I'll never forget it either.
I have had many frames sandplasted by a local machine shop, they charge me $20 per frame. It's great. Then I just rattle can the frames and they are set to go.
I usually use aircraft stripper, although it is noxious stuff, and the residue can be hard to get rid of, depending on where you live. I have also used a orbital sander and dust mask (Outside of course), and then finished off the tight spots with a rotary tool.

I find that auto paint is overkill for bikes. I agree with Jordan300. Any spray paint that is the color you want is good enough, especially for a road bike, since it won't see the abuse a mountain bike will. Just make sure you apply a couple layers of a good clear coat.

And since you painted cars before, I don't have to tell you to sand in between coats.

P.S. - Don't listen to anyone when they mention the worth of a bike. If you want to put the time into it, then its worth it.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
(01-16-2010, 09:24 AM)jr14 Wrote:  P.S. - Don't listen to anyone when they mention the worth of a bike. If you want to put the time into it, then its worth it.

I Totally agree with this. I have refurbished tons of worthless bikes that are being Loved by their new owners.
(01-16-2010, 01:34 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  
(01-16-2010, 09:24 AM)jr14 Wrote:  P.S. - Don't listen to anyone when they mention the worth of a bike. If you want to put the time into it, then its worth it.

I Totally agree with this. I have refurbished tons of worthless bikes that are being Loved by their new owners.

It sounds like we're on the same page on a LOT of topics. Smile
Nice to hear that I don't think this way all alone. Yes it is a lot of fun to redo a bicycle just to see her shine again. That first ride after its re built Ahhhhhhh the fun you have. This forum here is better than most I have been in. I want name the other places I have been at but to hear form all of you here I don't think to many would stay long on the other forum either. I see a lot of people here that may not have that high end bicycle that some people have and for that one reason we are look down on. To me I don't care if you payed out the butt for it or not lol. Or if you only payed 1 cent for it who cares I sure don't. If your bicycle can get you to ride for what ever reason then your health will be better in the long run the way I look at it anyway.

I ask this same ? I did here at another forum and man you think I ask for x a mount of dollars to be giving to me man was I ever put down funny now but at that time it got to me. And I am always looking for some old bike I can pick up and redo it I get a kick out of it when I can give it to some one to have and to see them SMILE they say is it really mine for FREE and I say yep. It makes me feel good to help out when I can and to put that smile on some kids. Most people around our little place knows I like bikes and that I work on them a lot so a lot of dads come by to talk to see what I would charge them to fixed a bike for them all I say is bring it to me and let me take a look at it I fix what needs to be done to it then take it to them in a few days they ask I say have a great time riding it.
Sounds like you have the right attitude. I post occasionally in other forums, but I like this one the best. Its not full of bike snobs like the other 2 popular forums. It seems like the posters here are real people, with real bikes, that really like to ride.

I'm happy I found this place.