Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

What is your dream cycling destination?
I would love to cycle near the Cloisters in NYC (with a view of the water.)
The Amalfi coast sounds nice Smile
I think Tasmania would be pretty cool
In normal times, this would be a simple, practical even, tour. At the moment, amidst COVID, etc., the idea of a meandering bike-packing ride across the Low Countries (northern France, Belgium/Flanders, Luxembourg, Frisian Germany) seems like a far-flung fantasy.

In any case, I would love to enjoy a relaxed exploratory journey through the history and culture of this part of Europe, making the most of the flat ground, quiet countryside and excellent cycle routes.
(11-02-2021, 02:22 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
In November, let's share our personal cycling desires.
If you could ride anywhere in the world, where would it be? What is your most desired cycling destination? Is it a specific mountain route? Is it an event?

I will share mine - it's Mt. Ventoux!
I would love to do this legendary climb on my road bike and taste a tiny piece of what professional cyclists feel at Tour de France.

Road Cycling = highest and steepest climb in Taiwan
Mountain biking = st.moritz switzerland
Cycling in Portugal greatly appeals to me, thanks to the country's varied terrain and temperate weather. From coastlines and beaches to mountain roads, ancient towns and forests, its diverse landscapes seem perfectly suited for multi-day bicycle trips. Portugal offers cycling routes for all abilities, whether along the shore or on hills and inclines further inland. Many accommodations also cater well to cyclists. If I hope to explore areas less traveled or tailor an itinerary entirely to my interests, the local guides at https://gowithguide.com/portugal/guides could design custom tours. This would let me handpick destinations while gaining insights from a guide with whom I connect. As I learn more about Portugal's cycling opportunities, the prospect of experiencing its varied scenery and culture from the seat of a bicycle grows ever more attractive.
(12-23-2022, 04:27 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  
(11-02-2021, 02:22 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
In November, let's share our personal cycling desires.
If you could ride anywhere in the world, where would it be? What is your most desired cycling destination? Is it a specific mountain route? Is it an event?

I will share mine - it's Mt. Ventoux!
I would love to do this legendary climb on my road bike and taste a tiny piece of what professional cyclists feel at Tour de France.

Road Cycling = highest and steepest climb in Taiwan
Mountain biking = st.moritz switzerland

An update: There's a hotel in Malaysia that caters to cyclists and the location is right in the middle of the most popular and routes for cycling in their area, would like to try this one day and since its in Asia, it's easier for me since I am also in South East Asia
Hello Trailjoe,

Portugal seems great on paper. Sadly, i felt deathly scared last time i rodé there. I rented a bicycle in Madrid and rodé for 3 or so days before entering Portugal. Spain was great with wide and clean shoulders. So i never felt unsafe.

But as soon as I entered Portugal, I started feeling really on the edge even though I used a route recommend for cyclist. Lots of heavy vehícular traffic and non-existent shoulders. I even tried to get a lift but nobody helped me. .:-(

Fortunately, I got to my destination of Évora in one piece and happily put my bike away..

(04-23-2024, 01:25 AM)TrailJoe Wrote:  Cycling in Portugal greatly appeals to me, thanks to the country's varied terrain and temperate weather. From coastlines and beaches to mountain roads, ancient towns and forests, its diverse landscapes seem perfectly suited for multi-day bicycle trips. Portugal offers cycling routes for all abilities, whether along the shore or on hills and inclines further inland. Many accommodations also cater well to cyclists. If I hope to explore areas less traveled or tailor an itinerary entirely to my interests, the local guides at https://gowithguide.com/portugal/guides could design custom tours. This would let me handpick destinations while gaining insights from a guide with whom I connect. As I learn more about Portugal's cycling opportunities, the prospect of experiencing its varied scenery and culture from the seat of a bicycle grows ever more attractive.
(04-23-2024, 01:39 PM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello Trailjoe,

Portugal seems great on paper. Sadly, i felt deathly scared last time i rodé there. I rented a bicycle in Madrid and rodé for 3 or so days before entering Portugal. Spain was great with wide and clean shoulders. So i never felt unsafe.

But as soon as I entered Portugal, I started feeling really on the edge even though I used a route recommend for cyclist. Lots of heavy vehícular traffic and non-existent shoulders. I even tried to get a lift but nobody helped me. .:-(

Fortunately, I got to my destination of Évora in one piece and happily put my bike away..

(04-23-2024, 01:25 AM)TrailJoe Wrote:  Cycling in Portugal greatly appeals to me, thanks to the country's varied terrain and temperate weather. From coastlines and beaches to mountain roads, ancient towns and forests, its diverse landscapes seem perfectly suited for multi-day bicycle trips. Portugal offers cycling routes for all abilities, whether along the shore or on hills and inclines further inland. Many accommodations also cater well to cyclists. If I hope to explore areas less traveled or tailor an itinerary entirely to my interests, the local guides at https://gowithguide.com/portugal/guides could design custom tours. This would let me handpick destinations while gaining insights from a guide with whom I connect. As I learn more about Portugal's cycling opportunities, the prospect of experiencing its varied scenery and culture from the seat of a bicycle grows ever more attractive.

Thank you for sharing your experience cycling in Portugal, @GirishH. It's important to consider safety and road conditions when embarking on a cycling journey. Your account highlights the differences in cycling experiences between Spain and Portugal, emphasizing the need for caution and awareness of traffic conditions. You're fortunate to have reached Évora safely despite the challenges you faced. Might have to look into cycling in Spain instead.