Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What was your most challenging bike ride?
Hello, bike riders!
This month, let's share our toughest and most challenging bike rides. Was it your first century ride or simply a ride back home in most unpleasant weather conditions?

2 days back-to-back 100mi stages (UK) from London to Swansea - 20mph head wind all the way...not funny 🌪🚴‍♀️
MD @europeancyclingtours

[Image: ECT-logo-770x607px-no-bg.png]
After biking to school (~4 miles) for most of my senior year of high school, my much-more-serious and in shape friend convinced me to bike with him to university one weekend. 80 miles away. And it was hooot. Part of me still thinks I passed out at some point and everything since then has been a coma-induced dream.

I had to ride back too. Somehow that wasn't as bad though.
Rode from Traverse City MI, to Claire MI once when I was 17.
My most challenging bike ride involved navigating traffic in NYC!
Riding home 20 miles gently uphill through the woods on a dirt trail in drenching rain at night.
When I was 18, me and three firends of mine rode our bikes from my dads to my mums, wasn't difficult terrain of anything but it was around 14 miles away! I know that may not be alot to some people, but I've always been more of a short distance rider.
I participated in a 90-mile ride from Utica, NY to Albany, NY in 2010 for a fund raiser.
My most challenging ride has been doing the 40-mile stretch of the Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail.
My most challenging ride was a charity ride from Paducah, KY to Murray, KY and back. I didn’t think it was going to be nearly as hard as it was. But I made it, and that is what counts.
It was the 3 day 275 charity ride for AIDS - from Boston -> NYC. About 60 miles in a day 1 I cycle pass a sign talking about a ski place ahead, round the corner to a very steep hill that by the time I hit the top I was barely moving with each pedal stroke.
I was doing a century on Ragbrai but had an extra 28 miles to make it to my overnight host and those 28 miles were into a stiff head wind.
I was on a multi-day bike camping trip with a group of women through Southwestern Wisconsin. It was going well until we reached a small town and with bad weather approaching we took shelter in the local bar/bowling alley. When the tornado warnings started we decided to spend the night in the bowling alley, thanks to the generous owner. In the morning we helped clean up downed trees and the debris left by the tornado and proceeded on our way!
My most challenging ride was not a long ride, but it happened to be on a day where there were several events being held on the trail. On top of that, the trail was next to the river and the wildlife was not having it. Birds kept attacking the riders. We got nowhere fast.
Cycling charity event. A 33- or 100-mile ride for MS, and I was invited. I was informed that you could enjoy the ride as long as you wanted, and if you decided to “go back,” a ride would be provided for you and bike. I decided at first checkpoint that I was happy with my ride and was ready to go back and visit with my older sister who couldn’t participate because of a bike ride accident. However, long story short, my younger sister wouldn’t “allow” me to give up. I walked my bike up several hills, most of the ride was by myself, but I did it! Probably never again, but I was proud I finished it!
(09-01-2021, 05:58 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
This month, let's share our toughest and most challenging bike rides. Was it your first century ride or simply a ride back home in most unpleasant weather conditions?

Honestly, the toughest ride I've ever been on was the first one as an adult after years of not riding! Whew, was I in pain that night. But every day I kept getting back on and now it's easy.
[quote='Nicholas' pid='42126' dateline='1630533512']
Hello, bike riders!

[/quote
Well I don't ride to challenge myself. I ride for fun. Having said that, we have a mission here with a rocky 3 mile loop that's tough on me, and the bike!
25 miles from Marion, TX to San Marcos, TX in extreme heat (over 90 degrees Farenheit).
White Mountains Triathlon it's fun and challenging
(09-01-2021, 05:58 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!

A ride back home after I had hit gravel at about 25 miles an hour and scraped off my skin from my right shoulder all the way down to my knee. Worse still was trying to clean all the gravel grit out of the open wounds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-01-2021, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Jesper

03-02-2020, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Jesper