Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rescue Bike
This is a rescue bike I just finished building for my wife this weekend :-)

It was a mountain bike in the late 80's but would be a hybrid/commuter by today's standards. It's a TIG'd CroMo frame. The bars are Wald 2.5 inch touring, which are almost North Road shaped. The stem is a super cheap sunlite, the only one we could find that tall (the frame could be a little bigger for her). The ride is soo comfy (very upright) and smooth that I'm a little jealous. The rack on the back is for a child seat, so with that plus the basket it's a great family fun bike and errand runner. It needs cork grips and chrome fenders to complete the look though!
(11-24-2009, 03:52 PM)I Have the Hat Wrote:  This is a rescue bike I just finished building for my wife this weekend :-)

It was a mountain bike in the late 80's but would be a hybrid/commuter by today's standards. It's a TIG'd CroMo frame. The bars are Wald 2.5 inch touring, which are almost North Road shaped. The stem is a super cheap sunlite, the only one we could find that tall (the frame could be a little bigger for her). The ride is soo comfy (very upright) and smooth that I'm a little jealous. The rack on the back is for a child seat, so with that plus the basket it's a great family fun bike and errand runner. It needs cork grips and chrome fenders to complete the look though!

That's a job to pleased with.

If you are going to fit a childs seat, onto the rack, I would test it before actually putting a child in it. I would be a bit wary of the rubber fittings and the single strap to the seatpost.

Some child seats come with a fitting kit and I would be inclined to search one of these out or copy it.

Otherwise very well done!
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(11-24-2009, 04:23 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  That's a job to pleased with.

Thank you!

(11-24-2009, 04:23 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  If you are going to fit a childs seat, onto the rack, I would test it before actually putting a child in it. I would be a bit wary of the rubber fittings and the single strap to the seatpost.

Some child seats come with a fitting kit and I would be inclined to search one of these out or copy it.

Thanks, and agreed of course. The rack actually is the mounting kit that came with the seat. The sides of the rack are rails that fit the underside of the seat and there is a locking mechanism that secures it after sliding on. It just happens to double as a rack when the seat is off. The setup was previously in use on a different bike and has proven quite sturdy. Of course it gets inspected regularly and the riding style with a child passenger is cautious and never hurried.
I had a child seat once that looked more like one you would buy for a car. The frame attached to the bike at the seat post and at the axle. The could be removed when not needed. There was a spring latch and a pin that looked like a cotter pin to keep the seat from moving. You could also made so it would not be easy to buy putting bolts in the holes to the frame. It also came with a plastic thing that was put between the child seat and the seat post and it attached with quick ties to the bike frame. This was to keep the child from putting her feet in the wheel! (I didn't install this on my bike because there was no space). The child feet set in a pocket that more or less protected her leg from all sides and it had a "H" type strap that came from the top, bottom and both sides. IF you fell with the child in the seat it was made so that she would never make contact with the ground (other than her arms if she had the out).

If you get one check how big the child can be for the seat. The one I had was for up to 30 pounds.
Join SETI.USA We can use your idle PC time! For more info contact me or check out our Team's Home Page at http://www.setiusa.net
That's a really sharp looking bike, nice looking, simple and sturdy. Nice work Smile
Very nice re-do. Looks like it may have been a Schwinn Sierra in its first life.
Is that spray can paint or do you have a real gun?