Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Advice on deal
I'm in the market for a road bike because I've done way too many 50-mile rides on my 48cm $150 target bike (Nishiki). I am 5' 10" and work for the Surf Rescue division of the Fire Department in the southeast, but I ride a kid's large bike haha. I talked with a guy who is willing to sell me a 2017 Fuji SL 2.5 for $800. It's 52cm. I recognize 52cm is a bit small for me, but I have been pounding it out on a 48cm all this time. Do you guys think I should take a good deal on something that is still technically too small for me or do you think I should hold off and go 100% by the book in terms of sizing and stuff? It's a tempting deal but I also want to think long-term about this investment.
(06-13-2021, 08:12 PM)Drew Clement Wrote:  I'm in the market for a road bike because I've done way too many 50-mile rides on my 48cm $150 target bike (Nishiki). I am 5' 10" and work for the Surf Rescue division of the Fire Department in the southeast, but I ride a kid's large bike haha. I talked with a guy who is willing to sell me a 2017 Fuji SL 2.5 for $800. It's 52cm. I recognize 52cm is a bit small for me, but I have been pounding it out on a 48cm all this time. Do you guys think I should take a good deal on something that is still technically too small for me or do you think I should hold off and go 100% by the book in terms of sizing and stuff? It's a tempting deal but I also want to think long-term about this investment.

I would advise on a more properly sized frame if you are planning on spending that amount of money. Best to get a professional (or similar) fit for your body if you are already willing to make a near $1000 investment on a new or used bike. The seat tube (ST) height alone is not what will make the bike comfortable; you need to have the proper reach provided by the top tube (TT) length. Your 48cm frame may have had a fairly long TT for its size, but the 52cm may possibly have the same length or shorter. I should ride a 51-52cm (I'm 5'7"), but I often ride larger frames due to the reach and the fact that I am used to it. You should probably be on something around 54-56cm (for both TT and ST) depending on your body type (longer or shorter legs compared to torso, etc.). You can certainly have a longer bar stem or certain handlebar design to provide more or less reach, but even then there is a limit to what you will be able to custom fit for your needs.

I am not familiar with the bike you mentioned, but you should shop around and see what else is out there before buying a bike that is on the small size side of what you should be riding.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post