Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Buying a used bike and need some advice on whether this is good value
Hello everyone, I'm buying my first road bike and because of the lack of bikes being sold I have looked online and found one that looks interesting to me but it is 1550 Canadian and I want to know if it is worth buying. The bike is a Fondriest Lampre and the seller says its from around 2004 and that he is the second owner. The specs I will list below as the current owner has listed them, I really like the bike and the look and just want to know if you guys think it is worth the price. I should also mention that it has been recently restored to the state it is in now, not sure if that makes a difference.

Fork - Mizuno Domina full carbon (made for Fondriest), Crankset - Campagnolo Centaur 172.5 carbon (new), Rear derailleur - Campagnolo Xenon 10 speed (new), Front derailleur - Campagnolo Veloce, Wheelset - Campagnolo Khamsin, Tires - Hutchinson Carbon Comp 23c, Shifters - Campagnolo Veloce, Brake caliper - Campagnolo Centaur dual pivot, Saddle - Selle San Marco (Team Lampre edition) (new), Seatpost - Kalloy Uno full carbon, Handlebar - Ritchie Logic Comp Curve alloy 44 cm (outside to outside), Bartape - DTP reflective (new), Stem: - Ritchie Logic alloy 110 mm, Peddals - Crank Brothers Candy 7 (new cleats included)

Thanks for the help guys
hello Holden.
first of all, welcome to the forum! do you have any photos and have you planned a test ride already? 1550 CAD is a lot of money for a 15+ year old road bike, so it has to have a good selling point.
(04-24-2021, 05:54 PM)Holden Cazes Wrote:  Hello everyone, I'm buying my first road bike and because of the lack of bikes being sold I have looked online and found one that looks interesting to me but it is 1550 Canadian and I want to know if it is worth buying. The bike is a Fondriest Lampre and the seller says its from around 2004 and that he is the second owner. The specs I will list below as the current owner has listed them, I really like the bike and the look and just want to know if you guys think it is worth the price. I should also mention that it has been recently restored to the state it is in now, not sure if that makes a difference.

Fork - Mizuno Domina full carbon (made for Fondriest), Crankset - Campagnolo Centaur 172.5 carbon (new), Rear derailleur - Campagnolo Xenon 10 speed (new), Front derailleur - Campagnolo Veloce, Wheelset - Campagnolo Khamsin, Tires - Hutchinson Carbon Comp 23c, Shifters - Campagnolo Veloce, Brake caliper - Campagnolo Centaur dual pivot, Saddle - Selle San Marco (Team Lampre edition) (new), Seatpost - Kalloy Uno full carbon, Handlebar - Ritchie Logic Comp Curve alloy 44 cm (outside to outside), Bartape - DTP reflective (new), Stem: - Ritchie Logic alloy 110 mm, Peddals - Crank Brothers Candy 7 (new cleats included)

Thanks for the help guys
I really only know the earlier steel frame Fondriests. My main roadie is a '98 Fondriest "X Status" (steel frame and fork) so I doubt that it is a good enough comparison. Is "Lampre" a team replica version? Is it full carbon, or hybrid frame material composition? I am not sure what "restored" means in this situation; I would assume that the frame was in decent shape, so maybe just component replacement and tuning?
Kind of a mish mash of Campy components with Centaur, Veloce (I like their brakes), and Xenon being at the lowest end. I do not have any experience with Centaur, I use Veloce brakes and derailleurs (no issues), and Xenon seems to be out of place (also the cheapest stuff, probably before Mirage came along). Xenon components utilized plastics in many of the components (brake levers were entirely plastic except the pivot pin and clamp). I only use Xenon pedals (again plastic body and toe cage, but fairly light at 225g/ea with cage and strap) and have no issue with them, but they certainly are not what I would put on a bike valued over a $1000 (USD or Canadian). Xenon components are from around the early '90s so it seems odd to hear of any of that stuff making it onto a bike 10-15 years newer than the part; definitely not an upgrade for that frame.
If it is a carbon frame I would be wary of it unless you could get your hands on it before purchase for a very close inspection (again, why would it need "restoring"?), not to mention multiple owners already. Without any photos I would put the value much closer to, or well under $1000 Canadian; just my opinion, I hope others have more on hand experience to help you out.

As a note: I purchased my bike in excellent condition about 5-6 years ago for $600 with a complete Campy Record groupset. I would not have purchased it (a 15 year old bike at that time) for the same price (if at all) if it was outfitted with the component mix on that +$1000 bike you describe.

I will say that my Fondriest is a great handling and riding bike; I do not ride carbon frames so I cannot make any comparison between a steel and carbon bike regardless of age and components.

'98 Fondriest "X Status"

Attached Files Image(s)

Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...