Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

GRX Derailleur Hanger
I've had my Felt Breed 30 all of a month, and the rear derailleur hanger has been bent twice. It arrived in the box slightly bent, so I had it straightened. This last weekend the wind caused my bike to fall over on the derailleur side. This caused the hanger to bend again. It was adjusted yet again, and it's working fine. Here's my question to those that know. How often can you straighten these things? As a precaution I was thinking of having my bike shop replace the hanger. It's only a $16 part. I'm assuming it is now a weak point having been bent and straightened twice.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30
(04-13-2021, 02:50 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  I've had my Felt Breed 30 all of a month, and the rear derailleur hanger has been bent twice. It arrived in the box slightly bent, so I had it straightened. This last weekend the wind caused my bike to fall over on the derailleur side. This caused the hanger to bend again. It was adjusted yet again, and it's working fine. Here's my question to those that know. How often can you straighten these things? As a precaution I was thinking of having my bike shop replace the hanger. It's only a $16 part. I'm assuming it is now a weak point having been bent and straightened twice.

Hello Justin,

I think you answered your own question. I would replace it at this juncture; maybe keep it as a spare for when the new one gets bent a couple times. I have a lot of issues when hearing about bikes that are damaged (or missing parts, etc.) upon receipt after shipping. I would hope that you contacted the dealer/seller (or whomever packed it, if known) to inform them that their packing does not adequately protect the entire bike. Hopefully, it will save some other buyer from having to deal with the same situation. It concerns me that if one piece got bent, then other parts may have been subjected to undue stress; possibly causing premature failure somewhere else on the bike frame. If I had received it like that I would have had to have gotten another frame/bike to replace the one that was damaged in shipping and emphasize the need to better protect the frame when shipping the replacement and all others afterwards.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Solid advice Jesper. Thank you.
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
2021 Felt Breed 30