Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Threadless stem height
I am considering building up from a purchased frame with threadless forks. thanks for the park link on installing/cutting the fork, i was wondering about that. now, how to go about selecting the height? my experience is with the threaded type which allows for some adjustment, the threadless works on spacers, what is good starting point with the spacer pack. i would rather start tall and re-cut the stem if required.
I am just going through the same process with a new frame and my first threadless build. I would suggest checking out any other bikes you have had to get the height of the bars to start with. I have left my steerer tube a bit long initially, but means I will have to cut it again later.

Usually Ahead stems can be flipped over, especially with having a removable front bar clamp. Stems normally are angled a bit and when flipped the bar clamp will be higher or lower.

You can have some spacers above the stem as well as below and between that and flipping the stem there is quite a bit of height adjustment.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
i think i will order a package of extra shims to work out the height question before making a final cut. if i read you correctly, i can lower or raise the ahead stem by putting some spacers above it or below, till i find a position i like and then make the final cut and remove the excess spacers.
(12-23-2009, 05:57 PM)dr1445 Wrote:  i think i will order a package of extra shims to work out the height question before making a final cut. if i read you correctly, i can lower or raise the ahead stem by putting some spacers above it or below, till i find a position i like and then make the final cut and remove the excess spacers.

When you do this I would not cut your stem at all just leave it use the spacers and enjoy your ride. My Surly LHT is set this way and I like the look and I have had to lower mine once but I never know when I might need to raise it again things can change like your seat that a lone could make you have to change it again. Just a though besides shims in the right color look good to me anyway. Good luck and good riding.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
I'd rather cut, it leaves the bike looking a bit more cleaned up. Personally, I'd hate to look at a tower of spacers every day.
Mr no experience here, i have worked up to around 50 miles a week so far this winter. i am just running a 6 to 9 miles loop depending on how brutal the weather is. maybe in the spring time i will try for more. not having a threadless stem bike i will reserve my judgment on the spacer appearance issue. i would agree that to a trained eye a spacer stack might look undecided, but that is where i am at this point in time. the ancient puch is now an 8 spd with rapid fire shifters and extra wide bars.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Last Post: ghost

11-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DaveM