Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Advice on e-bike for nervous cyclist
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and I'd really appreciate any help or advice as I'd like to get an e-bike.

I live in the suburbs of London, and I want to get fitter and more confident. Having talked to a few people who have e-bikes, I thought this could be a good option for me, but I am completely overwhelmed by all the reviews/information out there.

I won't do hundreds of miles, but would like to use the bike most days, and not have to get off when a hill presents itself!

From what I have managed to glean so far, I suspect a bike that would cope with a ride in the woods as well as roads might be a bit pricey (my budget is about £1,000)

I have a disability in my right foot so I'd ideally like a step through design as it's easier and means I'm less likely to fall over getting on or off it (the disability doesn't affect my ability to pedal)

Any advice and recommendations really gratefully received.

Smile
(01-05-2021, 10:52 AM)alison miller Wrote:  Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and I'd really appreciate any help or advice as I'd like to get an e-bike.

I live in the suburbs of London, and I want to get fitter and more confident. Having talked to a few people who have e-bikes, I thought this could be a good option for me, but I am completely overwhelmed by all the reviews/information out there.

I won't do hundreds of miles, but would like to use the bike most days, and not have to get off when a hill presents itself!

From what I have managed to glean so far, I suspect a bike that would cope with a ride in the woods as well as roads might be a bit pricey (my budget is about £1,000)

I have a disability in my right foot so I'd ideally like a step through design as it's easier and means I'm less likely to fall over getting on or off it (the disability doesn't affect my ability to pedal)

Any advice and recommendations really gratefully received.

Smile

Hi Alison,

If you plan on actually pedalling the majority of the time, make sure you get a frame that fits you well and is comfortable when pedalling. Because these bikes tend to be heavier due to battery pack and motor they can sometimes be less adept when not using the motor, as well as having to lift the bike for transport, etc. For your money you should be able to find a decent bike; it will just depend on the features (front and/or rear suspension, disc brakes, etc.) you want. You certainly do not want cheap brakes whether disc or rim. Know your terrain that you want to ride on as it will determine the rim/tire size and type; and maybe saddle/suspension if applicable.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...