Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Soma competition early 1980s
Hi all!

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on this early 1980s Japanese road bike. I’m hoping the community can share some thoughts on how much it is worth.

Notes from the current owner are it’s a 23” lugged frame made from Champion No. 2 chrome-moly tubing that gives the bike a standover height of a little more than 32”. It also has a complete Shimano 600 group set (crank, derailleurs, shifters, brakes) with 27” Araya alloy rims and an updated Specialized Targa seat.

From what I was able to find it was a short lived brand that made decent quality bikes. I think this was second or third in their line of bikes.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-27-2020, 10:41 PM)JBolton Wrote:  Hi all!

Notes from the current owner are it’s a 23” lugged frame made from Champion No. 2 chrome-moly tubing that gives the bike a standover height of a little more than 32”. It also has a complete Shimano 600 group set (crank, derailleurs, shifters, brakes) with 27” Araya alloy rims and an updated Specialized Targa seat.

I cannot see clearly, but if it has the Shimano 600 EX/Arabesque groupset, than that is a nice thing in and of itself. The "600" component range was generally quite good, the "EX" variant being more ornate and selling as separate parts for $200-$300 depending on condition. TANGE "Champion No. 2" tubing is quite good and is on par with European tubing of the same era regarding quality, but ride characteristics may have been different due to steel alloys used and certainly frame construction. I think No. 2 tubing may have been used as a default on larger frame bikes having greater wall thickness than No. 1 (similar to larger European frames using Columbus "SP" vice "SL" or a mixed set), and/or as a standard tube set on midrange models; still a lightweight butted tubing. It looks to be in very good aesthetic condition, but that means nothing if the bearings are on their way out. Frame could easily be upgraded with better period or modern components; but if those original parts function properly I would just rebuild them and reinstall. They should perform well.

As to value, the sum of its parts will not be the value sold as a complete bike. If everything functions well (including good tires with substantial life left), and is in above average aesthetic condition I might value it in the $300-350 USD ($400 MAX if superb!). If there are mechanical issues and you need new tires more around $125-$150; judging from the photos only and knowing something about the frame tubing and components I would probably have no problem buying $175-$225 and expecting to use it regularly, but fit modern brake pads (save the originals if still good, or sell them). Your fit on the bike would be the most important issue; check it out for safety and try to take a serious test ride on it. Overall a nice bike with nice components; spoke protector is clean and not yellowed indicating it was not out in the sun, not over oiled (hopefully not under lubricated) and/or used very much. The "dork disc" and safety brake levers make it look a lot less "racy" than it is (can be removed, but no need to) . The frame may have more of a sport/touring geometry than their higher end models. Check the hub bearings with wheels removed, and BB with chain removed; much easier to detect "rough" bearings, although the BB can be felt pedalling if worn/damaged; but sometimes indications of bearing wear are transmitted sympathetically through the cranks/pedals.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-28-2020, 05:38 PM
Last Post: G_M