Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New type of Inner Tube?
Has anyone ever heard of a solid Inner Tube? I was doing some holiday shopping today and came across a solid inner tube.

Update:
I found them on this website known as "No-Mor Flat Tubes"
<a href='http://www.noflattubes.com/index.html' target='_blank'>No-Mor Flat Tubes</a>

After seeing the instructions on how to install them makes one wander if it is really worth it or not!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I'd never buy this .... hm... stuff... They are most probably heavy, uncomfortable and much too expensive. Also, you cannot adjust the tyre pressure...

Also note the following excerpts from their homepage:
Quote:Note: Some of the sizes shown have been discontinued by the manufacturer. So, we cut the tubes to the size you need. This doesn't affect the quality or performanceof the product.
Quote:Use the two flat head screwdrivers to alternately insert and pry the second tire bead onto rim.

Yeah, screwdrivers are the best tool to install a tyre. Very nice for your rims... at least you cannot cause a puncture in this tube by using that ham-fisted method.

The installation sounds cumbersome but at least you're going to do that only once...

Oh, and note that: The manufacturer has stopped making them. If they were the solution to all problems, they should be making a fortune with them.
Joe,
Hahaha, loved your input Smile . Thanks for the awesome points of view. I totally agree with you. They may be ok for a place that manufacturers things and uses tricycle to cart stuff from place to place inside. Other then that I really could not see investing in these, when I can buy 2pair of the kevlar type. Hey I am wandering if there is a disclaimer AFTER you buy one on the box, "IF THIS INSTALLATION METHOD DOES NOT WORK JUST GET A HAMMER TO BANG THE ENDS OF THE BENT RIM BACK IN TO PLACE!". Lol.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Well, there have been so many tyre designs in the last couple of centuries (wood, wood with iron bands, solid rubber, the stuff above, springs nailed to the circumference of a wooden wheel (no, I don't make this up), and finally the air filled inner tyre (by Dunlop?). At the moment, the air filled tyre seems to be the best solution in terms of comfort and durability.
A good explanation of the history of the bicycle wheel I found is either in The Bicycle Wheel 3rd Edition or wikipedia's explanation. Not to get off topic but I saw a picture of a gear driven bicycle that was pretty cool. No chain.
UPDATE on these types of inner tubes. They seem to be fading out, BELL still sells them but I really do not know if they are still manufactured. Just wanted to share that with everyone.
I vote for tires based on PV=nRT. Heavy on the O2 or N2 and as little rubber as possible!
(05-06-2010, 10:42 PM)j beede Wrote:  I vote for tires based on PV=nRT. Heavy on the O2 or N2 and as little rubber as possible!

Newton's Ideal Gas law hmm.
I have fitted and ridden solid tubes and solid (green) tyres, they are not nice to ride on, just about ok off-road, but terrible on road, especially on thin tyres, they are also difficult to fit and shake your spokes loose, sorry.
I know punctures are a pain, but try puncture resistance tyres and self sealing tubes first.
http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/shop.sfxp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Last Post: biciloco