Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hi folks!
Hows it going! My name is John and I'm born, raised, and currently living in San Francisco, Ca. Just a little info about me, I got introduced into cycling through the San Francisco fixed gear scene and the Mash SF video. Never got comfortable with fixed but road single speeds and then moved into road bikes. I got a job working in a bike shop in sales, which got me into the building and mechanic side of bikes. I really like doing my my own bikes but sometimes, I know you gotta put it in the hand of professionals. I really enjoy nice modern build but I really enjoy building up frames from the late 90s to early 2000s with modern components. I've attached pics of my current stable of bikes! I've got my weekend road build, my promuter and my townie. Look forward to geeking out with all of you all about builds, racing and fitness advice.

John

Deluxe Cycles x Engine 11 Road

Lemond Reno

KHS Aero Road ( My newest build and went with a 1x set up)

hello from Vermont and welcome, John!

you have a nice family there. be honest, which one is your favorite? Big Grin
(08-27-2020, 12:12 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  hello from Vermont and welcome, John!

Hi! Its honestly so hard to pick because I try to make sure all my bikes get ridden. But the Engine 11 is probably my favorite at the moment but there's a lot to that. That bike replaced my Ritchey Logic frame, which got totaled when I was hit by a car. Also, the paint job was designed by my friend Wilis Johnson, who owns deluxe cycling. Overall though since is the roadie, I usually have to wait till the weekend to bring it out. But with working at home due to the pandemic, Ive been able to get in some weekday road rides. The lemond is great comuter but it helps that I had safe bike parking where I work. Its also the bike I can bring out for flatter rides that involves a coffee stop with friends. The KHS is the newest bike in the stable and it was my first time doing a 1x build. Its the slowest of the bunch but that's what the townie is for!
(08-27-2020, 02:25 PM)DarthSteez Wrote:  

Hi! Its honestly so hard to pick because I try to make sure all my bikes get ridden. But the Engine 11 is probably my favorite at the moment but there's a lot to that. That bike replaced my Ritchey Logic frame, which got totaled when I was hit by a car. Also, the paint job was designed by my friend Wilis Johnson, who owns deluxe cycling. Overall though since is the roadie, I usually have to wait till the weekend to bring it out. But with working at home due to the pandemic, I've been able to get in some weekday road rides. The Lemond is great commuter but it helps that I had safe bike parking where I work. Its also the bike I can bring out for flatter rides that involves a coffee stop with friends. The KHS is the newest bike in the stable and it was my first time doing a 1x build. Its the slowest of the bunch but that's what the townie is for!

Hi "Darth" and welcome,
Thanks for the insight on your rides. I like the KHS with the single front; something I am attempting to do with a much older frame ('80s and earlier), but it is hard to fit enough gears in the rear and still have a viable range while incorporating a good cruising gear (11/12T), and having something to be able to cover the hills with (32-34T). My frames were designed to handle 5 and 6 speed clusters, maybe 7 speed with a some manual spreading of the rear fork. I certainly will not be able to install 10 or more speeds regardless unless I go for a much newer frame from the late '90s and beyond. Trying to go with 11,14, 17, 20, 24, 28, 32/34T; with a 53-54T up front. I notice that you are riding different pedals; do you prefer a certain type (and why), or are they specific to the type of riding that you are using a specific bike for?
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Welcome, Nice looking bikes you have
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hi Jesper,
Sorry for my late reply! I stick with late 90s and up for my builds for the reason to put 10/11 speeds on it. I live in San Francisco and the extra gearing is very needed and especially since the last climb before I get home is a short punchy one with an average grade of 11% in just under 200 meters . But to answer your pedal question, I usually run SPDs for my commuter builds/townies every so often, Ill switch to platforms with cages but thats if I'm going to like a concert and I ride my bike but umm don't see that happening for awhile. I actually just changed my lemond's pedal to ultegra road pedals because I'm moving it to the road rotation with my engine 11. I prefer mountain bike shoes when, I'm doing errands in my bike or just communitng. Walking in those things are a lot more comfortable than communicating on my road shoes.

(08-28-2020, 02:43 AM)Jesper Wrote:  

Hi! Its honestly so hard to pick because I try to make sure all my bikes get ridden. But the Engine 11 is probably my favorite at the moment but there's a lot to that. That bike replaced my Ritchey Logic frame, which got totaled when I was hit by a car. Also, the paint job was designed by my friend Wilis Johnson, who owns deluxe cycling. Overall though since is the roadie, I usually have to wait till the weekend to bring it out. But with working at home due to the pandemic, I've been able to get in some weekday road rides. The Lemond is great commuter but it helps that I had safe bike parking where I work. Its also the bike I can bring out for flatter rides that involves a coffee stop with friends. The KHS is the newest bike in the stable and it was my first time doing a 1x build. Its the slowest of the bunch but that's what the townie is for!

Hi "Darth" and welcome,
Thanks for the insight on your rides. I like the KHS with the single front; something I am attempting to do with a much older frame ('80s and earlier), but it is hard to fit enough gears in the rear and still have a viable range while incorporating a good cruising gear (11/12T), and having something to be able to cover the hills with (32-34T). My frames were designed to handle 5 and 6 speed clusters, maybe 7 speed with a some manual spreading of the rear fork. I certainly will not be able to install 10 or more speeds regardless unless I go for a much newer frame from the late '90s and beyond. Trying to go with 11,14, 17, 20, 24, 28, 32/34T; with a 53-54T up front. I notice that you are riding different pedals; do you prefer a certain type (and why), or are they specific to the type of riding that you are using a specific bike for?

Hi! Its honestly so hard to pick because I try to make sure all my bikes get ridden. But the Engine 11 is probably my favorite at the moment but there's a lot to that. That bike replaced my Ritchey Logic frame, which got totaled when I was hit by a car. Also, the paint job was designed by my friend Wilis Johnson, who owns deluxe cycling. Overall though since is the roadie, I usually have to wait till the weekend to bring it out. But with working at home due to the pandemic, Ive been able to get in some weekday road rides. The lemond is great comuter but it helps that I had safe bike parking where I work. Its also the bike I can bring out for flatter rides that involves a coffee stop with friends. The KHS is the newest bike in the stable and it was my first time doing a 1x build. Its the slowest of the bunch but that's what the townie is for!

hi John, long time no see!
I had your post bookmarked because of Lemond and stumbled upon it just now.

have you had any changes in your bike stable during the pandemic?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Papa Dom