Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

I need help ID'ing a custom track bike! (Easter Bikes Carpe Diem?)
Information 
Hello!

I just purchased a used track bike from a friendly guy who told me was given it a few years before by someone at his job and had used it a lot since. Looking at it, I can tell it's a custom built bike with parts from all over. The fork is carbon and labeled Scattante. The seat is from a Giant bike. Etc..

The frame has me confused though. It is very light weight, so I'm guessing it is aluminum or titanium. For some reason, one of the previous owners removed all of the labels from the frame. However, I can make out "EASTER BIKES" written in large, block letters, as well as "Carpe Diem" written in cursive on both sides of the downtube near the fork.

I googled both of these and couldn't find anything about any company named "Easter Bikes". The company Airborne has a bike model called "Carpe Diem", and the model for that bike is also written in cursive, though the font appears to be different, and none of the photos I've seen of them resemble the frame of my bike, though they do mention them being titanium frames.

I'm hoping someone here may have an idea of what it is! It's a pretty fun bike to ride and much lighter than any other I own or have owned. Thank you all for your help!

Attached are photos of the bike!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello. Sleek ride, pretty customized. I know that Orbea has the Carpe Diem line (or Carpe), but those frames have different geometry.

Seat tube has a distinctive shape - something to focus on.
Autobahn
(08-23-2020, 06:25 PM)Fin Wrote:  Hello!

I just purchased a used track bike from a friendly guy who told me was given it a few years before by someone at his job and had used it a lot since. Looking at it, I can tell it's a custom built bike with parts from all over. The fork is carbon and labeled Scattante. The seat is from a Giant bike. Etc..

The frame has me confused though. It is very light weight, so I'm guessing it is aluminum or titanium. For some reason, one of the previous owners removed all of the labels from the frame. However, I can make out "EASTER BIKES" written in large, block letters, as well as "Carpe Diem" written in cursive on both sides of the downtube near the fork.

I googled both of these and couldn't find anything about any company named "Easter Bikes". The company Airborne has a bike model called "Carpe Diem", and the model for that bike is also written in cursive, though the font appears to be different, and none of the photos I've seen of them resemble the frame of my bike, though they do mention them being titanium frames.

I'm hoping someone here may have an idea of what it is! It's a pretty fun bike to ride and much lighter than any other I own or have owned. Thank you all for your help!

Attached are photos of the bike!
I have never heard of this model/make (assuming OE decals). I assume the fork to be a replacement. If it's an older Orbea "Carpe Diem" then I have not seen one before (not sure how long they've been making that model, but it's not a track frame). I am making an inquiry to a friend with more knowledge regarding these newer frames. I'd say as a rough guess that it is post '90s, maybe from the mid to later '00s. You can can give it a knock and listen to the ping; aluminum will sound duller and more muffled, Ti will have a higher pitch sound.

At least you have some room on the stem if you need to raise it a little.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
this one is a mistery to me, honestly. @Jesper yes, the fork seems non-related
(08-28-2020, 12:35 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  this one is a mistery to me, honestly. @Jesper yes, the fork seems non-related

Hi Dom,
Hope everything is going well for you. I am having trouble travelling north given the state by state quarantine restrictions; hard to do property upkeep when you aren't supposed to be out and about for what would be most of my vacation, but would have plenty of riding time (I'll ride the bike w/o the Florida plate!).
This frame has been typified by my friend who knows this stuff as a street fixie, presumably an aluminum frame (based on welds), and not much to "write home about". I thought it odd to have the "aero" seat tube on a run of the mill fixed gear, but anything that helps market a bike, be it a gimmick or not, is what the dealer is concerned with. To some respect it downplays the benefits on a true race frame in that it looks similar, but is probably not manufactured to the same level of quality. An easy test is to post that frame on a site that deals with professional track bikes and see what comments arise. I think it would be jeered at even given the age of the frame, but that's only because what I've been told about it. I gave away a "track"/"fixie" bike ( State Bicycle Co.) that apparently sold upwards of $700; the quality was poor in frame and components (essentially hubs and BB); I would never have bought it (I only took it to save another bike from the dumpster). Just like back in the 70s and 80s when cheaper bikes were trying to copycat the "big dogs", but just mass produced frames with whatever economical group was available at the time. If my bike, I would throw on a retro 5 speed FW and fly until I crashed it (doesn't take me too long, just ask my friends!).
That fork may very well be worth the price of the frame, who knows; but Scattante is just another marketing gimmick using an Italian/European sounding name to give it a little clout. Scattante bikes are/were distributed by Performance bikes back in the day.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS