Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hey y'all!
[b][/hey y'all! Hope everyone has an awesome week. My name is Crystal Campbell and I am very passionate about riding my bike. I'm recovering n still working on my addition to opiods.
For some reason wen I get ' sick ' , I ride my bike n it somehow makes it all alright.....Anyeay....I want to ride a distance for a good purpose. I feel there is something bigger I need to do.
If anyone knows of any distance charity rides or is involved in helping recovering drug addicts......i really wanna make a difference....... I'm new to all if this but please inform me of the next steps I should tKe....thaks y'all!!
bbb]
(06-16-2020, 12:41 AM)Crystal Campbell Wrote:  For some reason when I get ' sick ' , I ride my bike n it somehow makes it all alright.....Anyway....I want to ride a distance for a good purpose. I feel there is something bigger I need to do.
If anyone knows of any distance charity rides or is involved in helping recovering drug addicts......i really wanna make a difference....
Hello and Welcome Crystal!

I love your positive "chin up" attitude!
I prefer to ride "charity" events myself, wider range of people from serious cyclists to those just trying to do some good.
I work at a hospital in Florida so I am well aware of the present risks involved with having group events of any nature. Due to the situation there have been many rides which were cancelled or postponed.
You can certainly look at the events calendar on this site, but many require a fair amount of travelling if they are not taking place in your area.
Some good resources are your local bike shops ("LBS"), and bike clubs located near you. Many often sponsor and/or host/organize these types of rides. You (usually) don't need to be a club member to ride. I would check out their websites or give them a call directly and ask if they are having/sponsoring any charity events. I would assume (depending on your location) that there are already some events on the calendar, or there some that are being organized for the near future. New rides (especially smaller ones) may be based on interest so it is wise to contact and give some feedback showing some interest in a given event. It's hard to run these if there are only going to be a couple of riders; but many are still fairly small and only need a couple dozen people who are willing to sign up. We regularly have a ride at my bike co-op to support the homeless shelter and other causes. Many are family friendly, offering multiple routes of various lengths and degree of difficulty.
Good luck!
By the way, what are you riding on? People here (and on other biking sites) are always interested to know and see what's on the road/trails; it doesn't matter if it is old, new, cheap, or expensive; it's all about bikes!

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Welcome! And thank you for sharing your story!
Where are you from? It'll help me with finding some charity bike rides for you.

If you are interested in any kind of charity rides, Bike MS (for Multiple Sclerosis awareness and treatment) are also great to participate!
"Uphill, downhill, I like that"