Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the National Bike Safety Month giveaway for a RiderBag reflective backpack

ebikes and regular bikes
Ciao.
Why would you switch from a regular bike to an ebike and vice versa? I understand that seniors switch to electric bikes because of the age. Then there are "dads" who have electric cargo bike for carrying kids to school and back. What are the other reasons? Hills?
i used to be sceptical about ebikes and perceived it as being a vehicle for sloppy bikers. if you are healthy and capable of biking, then why use a motor? over time, this viewpoint has changed and i've become more open. i see three reasons why someone would jump from regular to electric: 1) fitness level; 2) age; 3) terrain ... perhaps, also windy regions. a colleague of mine went to Europe for few weeks and did bike rides in the Alps. he commutes on bike regularly, here in the States, but those 5-10% incline climbs and regular uphills were too much for a family vacation. after a trial day on regular MTBs, they switched to ebikes and didn't regret it. they still burned lots of calories and pumped up those legs, yet the motor helped significantly in crucial moments. they are simply not used to long uphill bike rides. from ebike to regular? i can imagine a situation where someone has made progress in terms of fitness, gained confidence on ebike, and wants to take it to the next level.
Any bike that gets people in the open air is a good thing. I call my wife's bike the "Marriage Saver". We go on a ride together, and I can push it as fast as I want. She dials in the pedal assist needed to keep up. I don't wait for her, and she doesn't struggle to keep up with me. It's a win for both of us. This is an interesting read: https://www.bicycling.com/training/a23610389/how-e-bikes-affect-fitness/
Justin Schultz
2020 Scott Scale 970
(03-29-2020, 09:02 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  Any bike that gets people in the open air is a good thing. I call my wife's bike the "Marriage Saver". We go on a ride together, and I can push it as fast as I want. She dials in the pedal assist needed to keep up. I don't wait for her, and she doesn't struggle to keep up with me. It's a win for both of us. This is an interesting read: https://www.bicycling.com/training/a23610389/how-e-bikes-affect-fitness/

Thanks for sharing your example and the link!
(03-29-2020, 09:02 PM)J_R_Schultz Wrote:  I call my wife's bike the "Marriage Saver". We go on a ride together, and I can push it as fast as I want. She dials in the pedal assist needed to keep up. I don't wait for her, and she doesn't struggle to keep up with me. It's a win for both of us.

That's sweet. When I see a group of 2+ biking (couples, families, group fun rides) it's either no ebikes or ebikes-for-everyone. It's not very common to see one person on a regular bike and one on ebike.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)