Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Road cycling beginner
Ciao.
I got a road bike few weeks ago and have done daily commutes constantly ever since. However, I'd like to take my road cycling to the next level: 1) to work on my fitness/body; 2) to be able biking 50+ miles on the weekends and feeling good about it or not puking after it's done ... I guess it's called improving the threshold?

I've googled few 'cycling trainings for beginners' guides, yet I thought if someone here has any real life tips from personal cycling experience?
I would recommend doing what you are doing for now until you get the puking under control. This can be caused by many things but start with making sure you are not eating to much to soon before such rides and hydrate before said rides.
Do not know how long your commute ride is but my normal day would be 15 miles each way to work, work 8hrs, then do an average of 20 or so in the evening. in other words i would average 50 to 60 miles a day. Maybe more on the weekend.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-11-2019, 12:06 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  I would recommend doing what you are doing for now until you get the puking under control. This can be caused by many things but start with making sure you are not eating to much to soon before such rides and hydrate before said rides.
Do not know how long your commute ride is but my normal day would be 15 miles each way to work, work 8hrs, then do an average of 20 or so in the evening. in other words i would average 50 to 60 miles a day. Maybe more on the weekend.

I have 7-8 miles one way which is not that much at all, I'd prefer a bit more ... could take detours every morning and afternoon Big Grin Would perhaps sweat too much though. Now I understand that gradually increasing the miles on the weekends is the best method. 20 miles this weekend, 25 next weekend etc. etc.

Thank you for the tip on eating! Puking was meant more as an extreme example heh. I've heard that couple of my friends, back in the school days, biked so fast in the morning (not to miss the class) that they had to puke at the entrance. Might have been just a story ...