Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the November Giveaway for the TurboAnt Thunder T1 Fat Tire E-bike

Bike tire replacement
I've had my mountain bike for 5 years and I've never had to change the tires. Past 3 months or so I've been getting more and more frequent flats, and now there is a hole straight through the top of my rear tire.

Yesterday I notices the hole, so I wanted to replace it with a new tire. What type of tires at nowadays works good in term for mountain bikes.
First question is what type of riding you do. If you are actually ride on dirt, get a knobby tire for off road. If you usually only ride on road, there are road tires that will be much faster/smoother. You can get tires that are a mix tread if you do some of each. Note that road style tires are fine on packed dirt trails/paths.

There are lots of good tires out there. I'd avoid the real cheapos if you can afford it. Get something with a puncture protection belt if you want to avoid flats.

Possibly Related Threads...