Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1993 Schwinn Crisscross
Rather unique bicycle designed for the Suntour S1 component group. Forget most of what you know about rear derailleurs and gripshifters when it comes to setting up the Suntour S1 stuff. It is a breed of its own for sure.
[Image: 93full_zps5jcwhqgn.jpg]
[Image: 93fullII_zpszsmftdyb.jpg]
[Image: 93I_zps9xgzwvwz.jpg]
[Image: 932_zpsxxgjimht.jpg]
[Image: 934_zpsb22osyyk.jpg]
[Image: crisscross22_zpsegegabaz.jpg]
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-10-2015, 05:00 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Rather unique bicycle designed for the Suntour S1 component group. Forget most of what you know about rear derailleurs and gripshifters when it comes to setting up the Suntour S1 stuff. It is a breed of its own for sure.
[Image: 93full_zps5jcwhqgn.jpg]
[Image: 93fullII_zpszsmftdyb.jpg]
[Image: 93I_zps9xgzwvwz.jpg]
[Image: 932_zpsxxgjimht.jpg]
[Image: 934_zpsb22osyyk.jpg]
[Image: crisscross22_zpsegegabaz.jpg]

That is a wild looking setup! First one of those I have seen. Do they function well? You do come up with some stuff. How old are those designs?
Bill
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

hows it going Bill? Yes once set they work pretty well. They basically work opposite from the grips you see today. Built real nice with integrated lever's, plus all metal and not plastic. The best feature is the fact that upon a tip over or crash the rear derailleur seldom takes a hit due to being under the chainstay, and the levers and shifters are protected by the trekking bars. This was towards the end of times for Suntour as they could withstand the onslaught of Shimano. Real shame as they made some good stuff too. We take for granted mostly now that we can bolt up most things to most bikes, but for the Suntour S1 group it has to be designed into the frame due to how it mounts. You notice in the pics that it does have a derailleur hanger by the axle but forward of that no cable stop. this would make it more difficult to replace with a standard derailleur. It can be done with a clamp on stop, however clamping to a oval, tapered tube may cause slipping of the clamp if not clamped and epoxyed in place. the 93' Crisscross is not the best choice for parts replacement as they are pretty non existent even on Ebay. I have had a few of these without failure though. They are built well it seems. The Suntour 937 canti brakes are an unusual setup too. To balance the spring you wind it to balance the pre tensioned side, then lock it down. There have been other chainstay mount designs ever since geared bikes have been around. Most many years earlier. Overall these bikes are built like tanks even for butted cromo. They make for great do anything rides, take racks, fenders, and even bigger or smaller tire widths. 700cx38 pictured.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
The white one sold today for $190. Not to shabby, all I did was wipe her down, put on a cable end crimp, pitch the rear pads to remove a bit of squeal. Everybody is happy!
(05-15-2015, 10:37 PM)painkiller Wrote:  The white one sold today for $190. Not to shabby, all I did was wipe her down, put on a cable end crimp, pitch the rear pads to remove a bit of squeal. Everybody is happy!

It's great when a plan comes together!LOL
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Ya got to have some kind of plan, some work some fail. but a break even will work in a pinch. Now I can get my shifters for my drop to flatbar mod. I do love a good self sustaining hobby!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-16-2021, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Painkiller

06-11-2015, 08:49 PM

05-22-2015, 04:54 PM