Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1997 Cannondale F300
A sweet ilttle project I picked up the other day on the cheap ($110). It will work just fine in the trainer for the winter. This bike I can tell has never even been jumped of a curb! Thought I would take it up a few levels to some DeoreLx components to sweeten the pie a bit. it is a tall drink of water of a frame @ 24in.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Almost finished with the "Fluff and Buff" and ready to put back together.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Wow, PK. Hell of a buy for $110. Nothing like that here in LA. BUT its aluminum.:-)))
Never Give Up!!!
(11-30-2014, 05:02 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Wow, PK. Hell of a buy for $110. Nothing like that here in LA. BUT its aluminum.:-)))

$110 for that frame - i think thats about £70. You'd never be able to buy that in UK for £70.
(11-30-2014, 05:23 PM)hcjg1 Wrote:  
(11-30-2014, 05:02 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Wow, PK. Hell of a buy for $110. Nothing like that here in LA. BUT its aluminum.:-)))

$110 for that frame - i think thats about £70. You'd never be able to buy that in UK for £70.

That was for a complete pretty ridable bike Hc. The cad1 f300 was down on the food chain of dale's @ about $600 in 97'. It was worth about $200 to $300 to the right person when I bought it. The asking price was $125 and the bad pics he posted showed scuffs and tons of dry grime and dirt. But I thought I had better go take a look at it. All the little nuts and bolts on the brakes of course all had to visit the rouge and polisher. frame off as usual. It was originally a GripShift, (Hate). Shimano Acera groupo. I took it a few notches to some NOS DeoreXT/LX mix. Great platform to build from. The tough part is selling it for the listed price of $550 for what say's F300 1997.
That is the difference between someone selling their used bike and someone like me selling a refurbished used bike. My basic Philosophy is 95%+ perfection. If it is supposed to shine, make sure it does. Only uprades equal too, exact, or better than, and of era a plus. I try to leave nothing to nit pick about and will change certain things to make the sale. I try to build and price bikes as so they would part out and ebay to recoup money back that they are still a sound buy if one was so inclined.
I would like to point out one more philosophy. I liken it to the old saying that you eat with your eyes first. So you have to seduce the subconscious mind, and this is done by what I call "Balance and Symmetry" in finishes, color, and components. the bike has to pop to the eye and let the craving begin. It also has to be dialed of course!
Yep, it may aluminum but that is just a Dale. Front shock and proper tire choice make them a suitable contender to re purpose for commuter/path style steeds. Plus there are just people that dig the name. Humungo frames are hard to find in pristine shape and ready to go. It will make an awesome bike for someone and honestly other than me having to mount and dismount like a horse, I love the fit! The trainer does not care.
(11-30-2014, 06:56 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(11-30-2014, 05:23 PM)hcjg1 Wrote:  

That was for a complete pretty ridable bike Hc. The cad1 f300 was down on the food chain of dale's @ about $600 in 97'. It was worth about $200 to $300 to the right person when I bought it. The asking price was $125 and the bad pics he posted showed scuffs and tons of dry grime and dirt. But I thought I had better go take a look at it. All the little nuts and bolts on the brakes of course all had to visit the rouge and polisher. frame off as usual. It was originally a GripShift, (Hate). Shimano Acera groupo. I took it a few notches to some NOS DeoreXT/LX mix. Great platform to build from. The tough part is selling it for the listed price of $550 for what say's F300 1997.
That is the difference between someone selling their used bike and someone like me selling a refurbished used bike. My basic Philosophy is 95%+ perfection. If it is supposed to shine, make sure it does. Only uprades equal too, exact, or better than, and of era a plus. I try to leave nothing to nit pick about and will change certain things to make the sale. I try to build and price bikes as so they would part out and ebay to recoup money back that they are still a sound buy if one was so inclined.
I would like to point out one more philosophy. I liken it to the old saying that you eat with your eyes first. So you have to seduce the subconscious mind, and this is done by what I call "Balance and Symmetry" in finishes, color, and components. the bike has to pop to the eye and let the craving begin. It also has to be dialed of course!

'seduce the subconscious' - thanks, i'll remember that next time I'm selling a bike
'seduce the subconscious' - thanks, i'll remember that next time I'm selling a bike
That's the whole point Hc. You have the bike...The bike should sell it's self ! I have seen your stuff, you are quite capable of creating the "wow" and "pop" factor! Smile
Coming along slow but nice(Been pretty busy). Decided to go with my ol'e fav, top mount thumbies(DeoreXT), and NOS DeoreXT Levers. This bike was just another example of no matter how nice the bike is or how much you know about its past. Do a full frame off refurb and inspect. I know I bought this from the original owner and I know the owner of the bike shop it was purchased from. What I do not know is who put a caged set of bearings in the lower headset that was meant for a 1 1/8 headset and not for a 1in. headset. Had I not removed the fork to clean and inspect this would have never been caught. Crazy right? Now a couple more pics of the progress.
Well, just about ready to call it a wrap. Time to enjoy it in the trainer a bit and toss it up for sale !
Well, finally actually got to ride the Dale on the streets today. Never even took it for a ride when I purchased it. First impressions, WOW ! very very quiet and smooth as butter. Have to say one of the nicest riding (on street anyway) C-Dales I have ever done, feels like a $2000 plus bike. Had to shuck the new hg-41 rear cluster, I found it not up to snuff in the 11t with the Kmc x8 chain. went with a higher and lighter end Dura-ace style 12/30 cluster and well, silence is golden as they say. The sweet spot has been hit! I just may have to keep it around awhile longer. Despite its size it just seems right when you are on it.
Real nice job PK! I love a nice cdale.
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

(12-30-2014, 07:36 PM)fishboy316 Wrote:  Real nice job PK! I love a nice cdale.

Thanks Bill, glad to hear from you again. Did you want to trade your lefty with me? Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Bill

10-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Teisco_Kid