Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Question about gear changing
Hi, whenever I've got a 6 speed mountain bike, but whenever I switch into the lowest gear, the chain slips off of the freewheel into the frame and is a paint to pull out again. When I put the bike up into the stand, it switches to lowest gear fine without coming off at all. It seems the pressure of my feet on the pedals makes it slip off. Just wondered if you had any suggestions? thanks.
The lowest gear is the largest cog in the back, so if the chain went off there it would go into the wheel, not the frame. Is it coming off the largest rear cog or the smallest, or off the front? The pressure of your feet should not make a difference. How old is the bike and when did the problem start - any accident or maintenance just before then?
Check the limit screws and to see if the derailleurs are bent, aligned correctly. It's not uncommon for a bike to behave better in the stand than on the road. But if you get the adjustments right, it should be fine for either.
(10-14-2014, 06:00 PM)cny-man Wrote:  The lowest gear is the largest cog in the back, so if the chain went off there it would go into the wheel, not the frame. Is it coming off the largest rear cog or the smallest, or off the front? The pressure of your feet should not make a difference. How old is the bike and when did the problem start - any accident or maintenance just before then?

Yea sorry I meant it's coming of off the largest cog in the back and into the wheel, it slides right in and jams behind the freewheel. It doesn't do it in the stand, it shifts up and stays in the highest gear but as soon as Im on it and shift up it comes off into the wheel. The bikes about 2 years old and the problem started about 6 months ago, since then I've never used that gear until recently and it happened again.

Nope, no accidents however the rear derailleurs has always had a wobble to it, it doesn't sit tight. I did replace the freewheel a couple of months ago and brought a new chain. I brought a 7-speed chain and the freewheel is 6 speed but they said that would be okay, thanks.
(10-14-2014, 06:00 PM)cny-man Wrote:  The lowest gear is the largest cog in the back, so if the chain went off there it would go into the wheel, not the frame. Is it coming off the largest rear cog or the smallest, or off the front? The pressure of your feet should not make a difference. How old is the bike and when did the problem start - any accident or maintenance just before then?

Okay thanks. I will check the allignment of the derailleur, it works fine in all the other gears, its just on the largest cog for some reason. Thanks

Okay thanks. I will check the allignment of the derailleur, it works fine in all the other gears, its just on the largest cog for some reason. Thanks
(10-15-2014, 11:54 AM)DaveM Wrote:  Check the limit screws and to see if the derailleurs are bent, aligned correctly. It's not uncommon for a bike to behave better in the stand than on the road. But if you get the adjustments right, it should be fine for either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-12-2013, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

12-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Last Post: ghost

04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET