Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

An old frame as replacement
Hi guys, I've just joined this forum having browsed here many times before for ideas and information. If I could cut to the chase, I'm the owner of a now-broken commuter/occasional touring bike, ran into the back of a Benz last month and the bike didn't survive.

I'm contemplating new frames to swap parts and rebuild a commuter. In the meantime, I've found an abandoned KHS Winner, looks to be a mid-80's product: its on the heavier side and not an inspiring frame but rides ok...if the sidepull brakes are repaired or replaced. Its 27" rims are steel and degraded and the bars kill my hands. Without some overhauling, I don't think its safe to ride.

Then I saw this Le Tour on CL: <http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/4542065824.html>.
Looks to be a touch large (I'm 5'10 & been comfortably riding a '07 Bianchi Volpe 58cm for many years now) but the Schwinn is a frame with a good reputation isn't it? Also, would it be a better idea to build a 650b wheelset for such a frame?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Not sure what your question is. BUT Schwinn frames are good although much variation. The le Tour is lower grade than the Super Le Tour. More info to date bike.But if its too big a frame its no good for you.

Look for your bicycle here: http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/

http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm

Nashbar also sells frames.
Never Give Up!!!
Not sure what your question is. BUT Schwinn frames are good although much variation. The le Tour is lower grade than the Super Le Tour. More info to date bike.But if its too big a frame its no good for you.

Look for your bicycle here: http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/

http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm

Nashbar also sells frames.
Never Give Up!!!
[quote='GeorgeET' pid='32445' dateline='1404075817']

Thanks for those links, they're amazing really, like time capsules.

Sorry for the confusion, should have double-checked that the link went in the post, it didn't.
The owner seems to have gotten it for a project and, after doing the BB and work on the headset, is giving it up. But its actually a Super Le Tour. He estimates a 1985 production but your bike catalog link shows a closer match is the 1983 model. Here's the ad.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/4542065824.html

I don't know that its too big, he says its 57, that might mean a 'too big' 57 or a 'just right' 57.

My questions all come down to is this a frame that can be rebuilt as a commuter/light-touring bike? Even a randonneur bike? I'm not sure what expectations are realistic here, which is to say I'm learning as I go...

I imagine that since the brakes are not cantis, I can build the wheels to either 700c or 650b depending on will the rear triangle fit wider tires (32-38) plus fenders.

If I can't do that, I'll have to pony up for a new frame and, maybe, get this as an alternate road bike project.
It is a good deal, especially with a good BB.

It should fit you.

Did you read the ad? He said that 38-622 tires would probably fit, due have used it with 35-622 tires.

Brake reach will determine what size rims you can make work easily.
Nigel
(06-30-2014, 12:01 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  It is a good deal, especially with a good BB.

It should fit you.

Did you read the ad? He said that 38-622 tires would probably fit, due have used it with 35-622 tires.

Brake reach will determine what size rims you can make work easily.

Thanks for the feed back George & Nigel, yes I reread the ad. He did mention that 38's would work. Guess in looking at a lot of frames I'd lost track. Checking it out tonight. Thanks for the help!
That is one of the best Schwinn frames, with the Columbus Tenex frame.

If you rode a 58cm, 23", than this one is the same. At 5'10' it should fit you well. Grab that frame..............
Never Give Up!!!
(06-30-2014, 01:54 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  ....Grab that frame..............

and FedEx it to me as a thank you gift Smile
Nigel
No me, I saw it first. :-)))
Never Give Up!!!
George; sorry, I thought it was not the right size for you; of course I will defer to you my friend Smile

Besides I picked up an '84 Trek 620 frame and fork on Saturday - double butted 531, lugs, brazed in Wisconsin; so it is your turn Smile .
Nigel
You are right I do need a 53cm frame. When I was shopping I saw several 58cm, but sadly too big.

BTW my 1985 Fuji is quad butted. :-))
Never Give Up!!!
Bought it today. The seller had an old (19??) Fuji, slightly smaller frame it seemed, that he built into a 650b with fenders, dynohub, randonneur bars... Built the wheels himself and set them up tubeless. I was impressed.
Great. It will make a fine bike.........
Never Give Up!!!
(06-30-2014, 10:32 PM)meaculpa Wrote:  Bought it today. .....

Excellent. I know you have your build plans, but here are a few suggestions:

Velocity Dyad rims - I'd use 622 (aka 700c) rather than 584 (aka 650b).
Velocity cartridge bearing touring hubs 36/40
Wheelsmith spokes
Schwalbe Marathon GG RLX Wire Bead Tire 35-622 (700x35) or 38-662 size.
Tektro dual pivot brakes - need to measure reach.
Pyramid fenders: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO9Z66/ - look and feel like Planet Bike at ½ the price.

Of course; you can still send me the frame for my collection Smile

Regarding 584 (650b) rims; also consider 590 (650a). 590 is the classic 26x1 3/8 size that is widely available from Walmart to Schwalbe. Most 590 tires are 37 or 38 wide. Sun offers the CR18 rim in 32, 36 and 40 hole versions in 590. My SR Sierra Sport and Miyata 310 have 590 tires on CR18 rims. I like fenders, the 310 originally was equipped with 28-630 tires and practically no clearance. I investigated 28-622 tires; and still not enough space for fenders, went with 38-590 tires. Tektro R559 brakes work perfectly.
Nigel