Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1996 Trek 700 Multi Track Facelift
Picked up this for my Nephew that thinks he wants to ride with Uncle Bob, AkA the Painkiller. Had a budget to stick to a bit, and I threw in free some free labor and added some style and street brawl prowess to the ride. Pretty much a heap when I got it but, after swapping some parts and rusty bolts and stuff, she will come out sweet once again.
From trash to treasure for sure. Ijef talks of the KmC chains, so I tried out the X8-93 version. Chucked the steel riser bars, got a new cromo stem and alloy flatbars and trigger shifters. Selle Italia saddle, new uno post, ergo lock-on grips. Some nice light slicks, 700x28c. Here are some pics so far.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Bob; looks fabulous so far Smile Needs brakes and fenders - suggest these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO9Z66/ Alex just put a set on his B&W GT and they look great.
Nigel
Not bad looking fender's Nigel. But the kid wants a street brawler for slalom and Parking deck racing. He is already over budget, but I helped him with some of the parts. I just want some video footage of him going down like a clown! Concrete hurts like hell but not to much funnier to watch, Gotta love those those punks.Smile. He will get the bike stolen in month if he is anything like his brother.Ha
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Still waiting on some parts to finish it up and it is looking real sweet!
Here is a video snip of street slalom, just one event of street brawling a group of us do mostly late at night. It is fun and most any bike can be used. The video I ran is real time and about half pace I would do while being timed and or in a group, lots of obstacles in the way to break tempo and not to mention the elusive tree twig to roll across.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ40I_ZIYcc&feature=youtu.be
(05-12-2014, 06:52 PM)painkiller Wrote:  .....
Here is a video snip of street slalom, just one event of street brawling a group of us do mostly late at night. It is fun and most any bike can be used. The video I ran is real time and about half pace I would do while being timed and or in a group, lots of obstacles in the way to break tempo and not to mention the elusive tree twig to roll across.
needs a motion sickness warning Smile
Nigel
I should have recommended a couple Dramamine pills before watching.ha Someday I hope to have an action cam, that was just my little mini JVC Picsio
Definitely Dramamine! Nice looking bike! That was one you recommended. I like the look. Will be keeping my eyes open for one after I get the cervelo back.Might have to buy set of rival rings. What would you expect to pay for one of those?
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

(05-12-2014, 11:10 PM)fishboy316 Wrote:  Definitely Dramamine! Nice looking bike! That was one you recommended. I like the look. Will be keeping my eyes open for one after I get the cervelo back.Might have to buy set of rival rings. What would you expect to pay for one of those?
I try to get them as cheap as possible but it does not always work out that way. I paid $90 for the one with the purple blu fade and it was pretty roach when i got it. here is a pick of what a stock one looks like, The green one is a 730 modified to 14 speed with a road crank I did awhile back. I paid over $100 for it with a broken fork. It had the same funky steel stem and bars like the 700. good riding bikes though and make great platforms to mod.
Finished up and ready for pickup. Nice change of pace from the beater it used to be. The before and after shots
(05-12-2014, 09:26 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(05-12-2014, 06:52 PM)painkiller Wrote:  .....
needs a motion sickness warning Smile

that sidewalk slalom looks scary. we dont have the wide pavements / sidewalks in the UK . where are the pedestrians? I often see kids here wheelying on the sidewalks while weaving through the pedestrians. I wonder if that is there idea of slalom. Do you get stopped by the Police because in the UK you run the risk of a £50 if you get caught. Good restoration on that Trek.
Thanks Hc, I find it more challenging than scary. we do it mostly @ night and run thru twice as fast as that video. I was just testing out my camera mount and pacing thru it. Cops do not hassle us to speak of, once in awhile a security guard my yell at us running a paved downhill in a parking deck but not much they can do. Kinda a shame about the Trek 700. I built that custom for my Nephew whom ended up defaulting payments, after the 4th time and no contact I posted it on Craigslist for $350 and sold it in 4hrs without the Sella Italia seat for $310. He still does not know, when ever he shows up I will give him back his $100 deposit. Mind you that bike was only a $300 list bike back in the mid 90's. excluding the 15+ hours work on it I still made about $80 on it. Just another example of picking the right bikes, making them 95%+ perfect they retain value, does not matter how old they are. Steel is still real, rigid is still better than cheap shocks and other than a chip or two this bike is better than when it was new. Though only a hobbie I still need cash flow, when a prospective bike pops up I grab it as fast as I can even if I cannot get to for awhile.I have 5 waiting for every one in the stand of my own and have other peoples to work on. Thats just the way it goes
Looking good!!!
Pity you had to sell it, it looked nimble. I bet it stopped well too.
Thanks guys, she came out sweet and smooth, had to sell it to cover my butt. Pure looks is what sold that bike. My Nephew still has not stopped by and does not know its gone. But not to be the mean Uncle I picked up a 1999 Specialized Hardrock Classic that should be a good bike for him too. It will be done this weekend and come in a bit cheaper, though not as "Sassy" looking. The sad part again is if I do not hear from him within a week, I already have a buyer for it too.
Kinda funny really, but they come and they go. I have another Hardrock or rockhopper waiting in Texas for me to pick up in Sept. for him too. He will commit when I do not have a bike ready for him! Ha!
Dang, I like this bike. What size was the frame?
(12-22-2014, 11:43 AM)Greggster Wrote:  Dang, I like this bike. What size was the frame?
I believe it was a 22in frame, Thanks and welcome to BicycleTutor
Trek 700 series hybrids are great bikes. The 790 is the top of the line, there were also 700, 720, 730 and 750. I have a 720 one size larger than Bob's above, and a lugged 750 one size smaller that I am building up for a friend to ride when he is in town.
Nigel
(12-22-2014, 01:53 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Trek 700 series hybrids are great bikes. The 790 is the top of the line, there were also 700, 720, 730 and 750. I have a 720 one size larger than Bob's above, and a lugged 750 one size smaller that I am building up for a friend to ride when he is in town.

I'd like to get my hands on a 23" Multitrack. Let me know if you're selling and shipping!
(12-22-2014, 12:42 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(12-22-2014, 11:43 AM)Greggster Wrote:  Dang, I like this bike. What size was the frame?
I believe it was a 22in frame, Thanks and welcome to BicycleTutor

Thanks Painkiller. I'm liking all the bikes you're posting. I want to buy a bike from YOU! (I sent you an email)
Hi Greg;

My 720 - which I would be willing to sell - not sure about the shipping cost though - is in ready to restore condition, about the same as Bob's before picture.

Too bad you were not looking for a 750 a few months ago - there was one on CL near you, black, lugged frame 23" in very good condition. The seller wouldn't ship, or it would be in my collection....
Nigel
Hey Greggster, got your email. I will be in touch after Christmas to see what we can do. Your area is pretty large, (I did a quick Craigslist check). Hard to believe there isn't something to tickle your fancy. It costs around $100 to ship/insure a bicycle. That is a chunk of change on top of the bike, but is worth it to get want you want. I would be more than happy to help if I can.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post