Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Specialized Rockhopper 29er help
Hello, first post here need some help please. I bought a used 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er and I think I need a new crankset. Here is a link to my bike.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2011/rockhopper/rhrockhopperexpert29er#specs

I am fairly handy but never really worked on bikes before so I want to make sure if I replace the crank, that I order everything I need including tools. I am getting a bit of rocking in the pedals so would you suggest both a crank set and a new bottom bracket? Does anyone recommend anything in particular? I am not looking to spend a ton of money (under $150) so just need something decent. Is this crank set compatible? I just am not sure what my bolt circle is on my bike and the length (170mm?).

Crankset:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-deore-m590-9-speed-triple-chainset/rp-prod40496

Bottom Bracket:
Anyone have a recommended compatible BB they suggest?

What else will I need here other than a crank puller and an BB remover? Also, is this the correct BB remover? http://www.bikesomewhere.com/Shimano-Durace-Ultegra-Bicycle-Bracket/dp/B001LDFGO0

What about bolts? Sorry so many questions, I am just new and not sure what I need.

Thanks!
Being tight for money like most of us, lets start with some pics of what you have, clear pics of your BB area and chain wheel. you may just need a BB. If so that will save you some bucks. You need to be more specific as to what is loose and where you see movement. i.e. pedal @ crankarm, crankarm @ spindle, spindle @ shell/ bearing area.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Attached are some pictures, not sure if this helps. Currently the crank bolt is stripped and I'm still working on removing it.
(04-19-2014, 08:12 PM)olund99 Wrote:  Attached are some pictures, not sure if this helps. Currently the crank bolt is stripped and I'm still working on removing it.
Absolutely no reason to replace a crankset for "rocking in the pedals." If you move one crank arm back and forth laterally (sideways) and the other moves as well then the BB is the problem - cup not secured, out of adjustment or needs OH - no way to tell which without being there. If only one crank moves then the crank is loose, and if it has been ridden that way then 99% chance that arm needs to be replaced. If the right one is bad then replace the entire crankset/BB.
(04-19-2014, 08:12 PM)olund99 Wrote:  Attached are some pictures, not sure if this helps. Currently the crank bolt is stripped and I'm still working on removing it.
yes you have a mess on your hands.I notice someone has been playing with the chainrings as they are missing bolts and at least the big ring is installed wrong. see the chain throw carrier pin should be behind the crank arm.
If you can get the arm off without damaging it, you will be good to just replace the BB. The removal tool in your link will work. If you mess the crank up, the new one in your link will work and it comes with the newBB. It is a different BB system than what you have now so that will require one more tool for your collection ( park tool bbt-9 ). Used for outboard/external
cups/bearings
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-19-2014, 09:03 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
yes you have a mess on your hands.I notice someone has been playing with the chainrings as they are missing bolts and at least the big ring is installed wrong. see the chain throw carrier pin should be behind the crank arm.
If you can get the arm off without damaging it, you will be good to just replace the BB. The removal tool in your link will work. If you mess the crank up, the new one in your link will work and it comes with the newBB. It is a different BB system than what you have now so that will require one more tool for your collection ( park tool bbt-9 ). Used for outboard/external
cups/bearings

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated! Is this a decent crank? Better than the one that I currently have? Any other recommendations in the same ballpark price wise?
it is a nice replacement for what you have, it is a good price and with a BB included, tough to beat. you will need the other tool to install. But you will learn about different styles of cranks and bottom brackets. and be in the $150 or less for DIY project.
(04-19-2014, 10:39 PM)painkiller Wrote:  it is a nice replacement for what you have, it is a good price and with a BB included, tough to beat. you will need the other tool to install. But you will learn about different styles of cranks and bottom brackets. and be in the $150 or less for DIY project.

Sweet, thanks again for your help. The tool your referring to is the one in the prior post correct? Also, heard from a buddy that if I'm replacing the front sprocket, I will have to replace the rear too? Is this correct? If so, any ideas on which one to get for my setup? Also, more tools for that replacement too or no?

Thanks
(04-19-2014, 10:58 PM)olund99 Wrote:  
(04-19-2014, 10:39 PM)painkiller Wrote:  it is a nice replacement for what you have, it is a good price and with a BB included, tough to beat. you will need the other tool to install. But you will learn about different styles of cranks and bottom brackets. and be in the $150 or less for DIY project.

Sweet, thanks again for your help. The tool your referring to is the one in the prior post correct? Also, heard from a buddy that if I'm replacing the front sprocket, I will have to replace the rear too? Is this correct? If so, any ideas on which one to get for my setup? Also, more tools for that replacement too or no?

Thanks
lets start here, If you can get your crank off without damaging it just get a new BB.
If you have to go with a new crankset, the one you linked to will work great and you will need the parktool BBt-9 for outboard/external bearing design. your budddy is incorrect about replacing the rear cassette along with a crankset. cassette are most often replaced with a chain replacement or vise versa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Last Post: RobAR

08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Painkiller

01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Painkiller