Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike keeps going into higher gears
I recently put a new chain on my bike. It's a 10 speed. The chain was for a 10 speed. I didn't check the number of links on the old chain. The bike keeps shifting into higher gears and there seems to be tension on the derailleur cable that pulls it into high gears. I've tried adjusting the derailleur but it didn't help. I'm wondering if the chain is too short.

Help appreciated.
Instead of high/low, please use the front/rear combinations that are the problem, such as "when in the smallest in the front it shifts from the 3rd smallest gear in the rear to the smallest" or "I have problems with it staying in the 48/14 combination." People often mean different things by high/low.

It is not possible for tension on the cable to pull the derailleur into high gears, unless you are talking about the front derailleur or a rare type of rear derailleur.

We also need to know if your bike is truly a 10 speed (2 chainwheels and 5 rear cogs) or if there are 10 rear cassette cogs (meaning the bike is a 20-30 speed). If your bike has only 10 speeds total you need a chain labeled "5-6 speed" (the number of cogs in the rear).

Finally, one does not size a chain according to the old one. Google "bike chain length for instructions, or if you want to, pay for access to the tutorials on this site (I have not seen any of them, so I have no opinion of their quality).
The quality of the information presented in the videos on this site is top notch, better than anything you'll find on YouTube.

The spring in most rear derailleurs (RD) is designed to pull it to the smallest cog in the rear. The shifter counter acts this pull to position the RD in other gears.

What kind of shifter do you have? Pictures are important.
Nigel
(03-25-2014, 11:35 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  The quality of the information presented in the videos on this site is top notch, better than anything you'll find on YouTube.

Thanks for adding that, Nigel.

To the OP: I CAN tell you that if Nigel says it's true it's a good bet to trust him.
The bike is a 10 speed (5 in the back, 2 in front.) The chain said 5-6. I had a problem with the front shift lever - I don't use it practically at all and it seemed to have rusted. I tried to push on it hard (I would shift it occasionally just to try to keep it functioning) but it broke off from the clamp. This must have loosened the shift lever for the back gears which is on the opposite side of the clamp. (I wondered if that might be the problem.) I haven't looked at it to see if I can tighten the back lever more.

Thanks.
Most likely, yes, you need to tighten the bolt that holds the shifter (where it pivots). The spring in the derailleur tries to pull it out to the small (high) gears in the back. The friction from the bolt on the shifter stops it from sliding on its own. So it has to be tight enough to keep it from moving on its own, but not so tight that you can't move the shifter easily. If you can't get that balance, you may need to take the shifter apart, clean, and grease it. Or it may help to make sure the cable is lubed and moving easily.
If you have not been using the shifter and it rusted consider a new shift lever , or turning your bike into single speed . I find I can use only one gear on my rides so a single speed may be next conversion. Loose around two lbs more.
Never Give Up!!!
And if you want to replace your shifters; it sounds like this would work:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-Mount-Shift-Lever-Friction/dp/B0070PKLZ2/
Nigel
(03-25-2014, 07:58 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  And if you want to replace your shifters; it sounds like this would work:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-Mount-Shift-Lever-Friction/dp/B0070PKLZ2/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow all that and free shipping too. You must be a mind reader Nigel or read between the lines. But yeh he did say clamp and oposite clamp, although that could be down tube also.

http://www.amazon.com/SunRace-6-Speed-Clamp-on-Downtube-Shifters/dp/B0025UJXLK/
Never Give Up!!!
I tightened the shift lever and that fixed the problem. I do use all 5 of the back gears so I guess I'll keep it.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
(03-26-2014, 03:00 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Wow all that and free shipping too. You must be a mind reader Nigel or read between the lines. But yeh he did say clamp and oposite clamp, although that could be down tube also.

http://www.amazon.com/SunRace-6-Speed-Clamp-on-Downtube-Shifters/dp/B0025UJXLK/
Thx; but George, this one says index only on the rear..... not going to work with 5 speed. Of course it would be easy and inexpensive to swap out the freewheel for a 6 speed.
Nigel
10-4 did not click on it it just showed up when I looked on your link. I imagine a 5 speed set up like that exists. I prefer downtube to stem shifters. IIRC they were called suicide shifters once. :-)
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...