Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Carrera Subway 2 Left Crank Replacement- Help Needed
Hi all,
my first post on here Smile
Was just given a carrera subway 2, which needs crank replacing. The thread on the crank that holds the pedal is worn and can keep the pedal on. So, I need to replace it. When I looked at it, I notice that the bolt that holds the crank to the bottom bracket is actually not a normal bold, but an Allen Wrench Hex key one. So, my question is if the procedure for removing and replacing the crank wil be same as with other cranks that have normal bolt or will be different as I never done this before, but found some video tutorial on youtube and will look from there( i mean crank removal tutorials).

PS will this tool do the job for me?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Crank-Wheel-Puller-Repair-Remover-Extractor-Bottom-Bracket-Tool-Set-/310839684203?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item485f7d2c6b
Will the bottom bracket removal tool good at all or should I just buy the crank extractor?
(03-01-2014, 01:39 PM)petko8680 Wrote:  procedure for removing and replacing the crank will be same as with other cranks that have normal bolt
Yes, the same. You need a crank tool.
(03-01-2014, 02:48 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(03-01-2014, 01:39 PM)petko8680 Wrote:  procedure for removing and replacing the crank will be same as with other cranks that have normal bolt
Yes, the same. You need a crank tool.

Thanks. Will the crank tool from the above link do the job?
(03-01-2014, 03:21 PM)petko8680 Wrote:  Thanks. Will the crank tool from the above link do the job?
Yes - make sure you follow the instructions as posted by the seller. The black part must be separated from the silver shaft. Lubricate the threads on the black part with oil or grease. Next the black part is threaded on to the crank until tight - this is where people destroy cranks, by not threading it all the way in. Finally thread the silver part into the black part and keep turning until the crank pops off. Then remove the black part from the crank.
Nigel
Thanks. Was just wondering- arr BB tools same for all BB's, as I am wondering if I should order the crank extractor tool or both- the crank extractor and BB tool, as this seller is offering both.

PS are all BB's same size as I am thinking of taking the BB and crankset from an old Scott bike and put it on the Carrera.
General answer: No and No, but likely yes

More specific: There are several BB systems, reagrding the tools. There are cartridge BBs, old, cup and cone bearings, the newfangled stuff (Shimano Hollowtech and whatnot).
Additionally they can have different widths, diameters, threads, esppecially if you include the earlier stuff - it is madness! Read up on it at: http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html and http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom and so on...
Not all is lost, though. It is likely that the Scott bike has a cartridge BB, similar to that of the Carrera. Both BB shells should have British thread and measure 68 mm width. HOWEVER: The axle length has to match if you plan to keep the cranks. If you move the crank set with it: no worries.

(to be honest: gut the Carrera to rebuild the Scott unless the frame or fork are toast... the frame is likely much better, at least here the Carrera bikes are not more than BSOs - bike shaped objects, ridiculously heavy etc.)
(03-11-2014, 04:24 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  General answer: No and No, but likely yes

More specific: There are several BB systems, reagrding the tools. There are cartridge BBs, old, cup and cone bearings, the newfangled stuff (Shimano Hollowtech and whatnot).
Additionally they can have different widths, diameters, threads, esppecially if you include the earlier stuff - it is madness! Read up on it at: http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html and http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom and so on...
Not all is lost, though. It is likely that the Scott bike has a cartridge BB, similar to that of the Carrera. Both BB shells should have British thread and measure 68 mm width. HOWEVER: The axle length has to match if you plan to keep the cranks. If you move the crank set with it: no worries.

(to be honest: gut the Carrera to rebuild the Scott unless the frame or fork are toast... the frame is likely much better, at least here the Carrera bikes are not more than BSOs - bike shaped objects, ridiculously heavy etc.)

Thanks. The only problem with the Scott bike is that BB is loose- I guess is the bearing, but haven't opened it to check. The carrera has an aluminium frame and not heavy at all. I just want to take the whole crankset from the scott and put it on the carrera.

PS Carrera has a rear gear shifter missing and quite hard to find replacement Sad It is SRAM SX4.
Scott has shimano gs100
Ok, so the Scott is also not that "high" end... (at least from the components).
Frame material has nothing to say about the weight (well, not much). My old steel road bike was lighter than many new aluminium frames.
loose BB: The question is if it is a cartridge or a cup and cone BB. Cartridge (get the inexpensive Shimano ones) cannot be overhauled, but they are really hassle-free to replace.
Will have a look.
And another thing- can I replace my missing SRAM SX4 8 Speed shifter with any other X-series shifter, that is for 9 or 10 speeds even?( looking at the x4 right now and found couple of them- one 8 and one 10 speed)
You would have to upgrade the full drivetrain to 9 or 10 speeds. This is (economically seen) usually a stupid idea, unless it is a really nice frame or you really, really, love the way the bike handles, or have some deep, sentimental attachment to it.
Although... as you already have an 8 spd drive train you could get away with just a new shifter and a new rear dérailleur (plus cassette and chain, cables, housing, basically consumables), keeping crank set and FD (and its shifter) would likely work. Since the shifter is the most expensive part (maybe apart from the crank set) and you need it anyway you could do justify it.

Possibly Related Threads...