Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Is it Safe to Use a Tyre With a Hole in It?
I had a blowout last week when the tube burst through a pre-existing hole in the tyre. The tube was either protruding through the hole and got zapped by sharp stones on the trail I was riding, or possibly excess heat from braking on the steep descent caused an increase in pressure (I always keep the pressure at max). There seems to be some fraying of the nylon reinforcement on the inside of the tyre around the site of the hole.
I glued a 4 inch by 2 inch section of old tyre to the inside of the tyre and now the hole is about 4 mm in diameter when the tube is inflated. The tyre bulges slightly but there is no protrusion of the tube.
The tyres have less than a thousand of miles of wear, so what are the chances of a catastrophic blowout since the pressure is of the tube is now spread out over the large area of the repair patch?
Should I dump the tyre?
Why tempt fate? Purchase anew tyre.
There is of course no way for us to make such an assessement even in person, let alone remotely. It's up to you alone to decide whether the risk is worth it. The risk if it's a front tire is much greater. You already survived one blowout, but again, it's up to you.
You haven't given the weight load, the type of use or the size of the tire, but you do run the tire at max pressure so my opinion is by a new tire. I know they are expensive where you're from, but it makes sense.
I had a massive screw go through a New Big Apple 26 x 2.35". I couldn't pull the screw out, I actually had to unscrew it. After removal I had to fiddle & twist to get the gathered fibers to lay flat, they had formed Mount Schwalbe inside the tire. I used a Mr.Tuffy tire liner to protect the area and it has lasted 1500+ miles, BUT, I run them at 45psi max. I also had no bad fraying around the hole.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DaveM