Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Vilano Shadow
Hello everyone. My first road bike. Not a bank breaker, but gets the job done. Purchased it in September as a change from the mountain bike thing. After my LBS wanted to get me into something outside my budget, which was measly, I pulled the trigger on it from Amazon.
that should be a good starter to get your feet wet and find out if being a "Roadie" is what you want. Just a quick glance at the pictures you posted it looks to me as toe straps are not routed proper, and the front and rear brake calipers are improperly set up. Did you assemble the bike or have someone else?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Me, which may be why I run into probs every so often!! But I must say the road has been kind of good to me.
(01-11-2014, 04:05 PM)painkiller Wrote:  that should be a good starter to get your feet wet and find out if being a "Roadie" is what you want. Just a quick glance at the pictures you posted it looks to me as toe straps are not routed proper, and the front and rear brake calipers are improperly set up. Did you assemble the bike or have someone else?

Hi PK your attention to detail is amazing. I didnt notice those things until you pointed them out but I'm sure he'd appreciate the advise.
Thanks Hc, Mumra did a good enough job on the pics to be able to click on them and comb them over. Not sure what problems he/she were having that was mentioned til another reply, but we can work on that in a bit. I am glad to see people take the plunge and at least try to learn. When ever someone posts an online purchase, I like to look things over with a close eye the best I can with the pics they post to work with. The bike looked ridden and I assumed when I see release levers in those positions and cable ends that look like bananas, they may not quite have the understanding of how they work to be setup properly. I would think wheel removal at this point may not be optimal and or brake lever travel to much. But they never really asked why I said what I said.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
PK, thanks for the sharp eye. I have put close to 400 road miles on it. Work just doesn't allow me much more until the seasons change. My indoor trainer is nice BUT, boring sometimes. Mostly my problems have stemmed from excessive travel in braking and shifting the FD. Since reading your comment I followed the guide posted to adjust the side pull caliper brakes. A little late indeed. I ride solo so I really don't have any techniques or setups to compare. The joys of being a noob!!!
Not a problem, we all start somewhere, and sites like this help all of us. Glad you got it worked out. keep us posted and stick around awhile. One can move little steps pretty fast, but years of experience still takes years my friend. Keep up the good work and never stop trying to perfect the craft.