Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1993 Trek 930 Revamp
Picked up this little classic the other day. The last year for the USA made Lugged CROMO framed Trek 930. Just wanted to show it because it has withstood time pretty well so far. I will give a slight face lift to it and set her free.The 15in frame makes me wish I was a couple inches shorter cause this one is a keeper. They built em pretty solid and with double-wall Matrix rims ta boot! I will keep the Rapid fire shifters, I added a NOS STXrc rear derailluer, and may add some Conti slicks I have laying around
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Very nice. I had a late 80's red Trek 830 that got stolen. Now I do not leave by bike out of my sight.
I thought the 930 was aluminum?
Someone will be very happy with it.
Never Give Up!!!
(10-24-2013, 08:30 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Very nice. I had a late 80's red Trek 830 that got stolen. Now I do not leave by bike out of my sight.
I thought the 930 was aluminum?
Someone will be very happy with it.
Its True Temper OX Comp II tubing George, I did up a late 80's one for my nephew like your old one that got stolen. Mine was kinda robin egg colored with off white decal, deore equipped 18spd with the chainstay mounted U-brake on the rear and caliper up front. He still has it. I think it is around an 1988. I got that one about 4 or 5 yrs ago from the original owner.I still waiting for my Brother in Cali to ship me my 90' IBOC Comp. Thats the one I am ready to get into
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Very nice, Bob! I would ride it (if it had brakes). Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(10-26-2013, 09:10 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Very nice, Bob! I would ride it (if it had brakes). Smile
I have some Koolstop in salmon, just for you Rob! I am thinking lose the dorkmunder seat too.
Smile He said 'Dorkmunder'. Heeheeee!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(10-27-2013, 12:24 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Smile He said 'Dorkmunder'. Heeheeee!

Its the one word impossible to "Google", It does make me thirsty for a Beer for some reason! Smile
update with some photo's and ready to sell. If anyone is interested just pm me. probably around $380 shipped anywhere in the upper 48 states
I have the 1991 930 shown in the catalog (http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/91/1991TrekCatalog.pdf). Yours looks beautiful. Any tips for getting mine to look shiny and new like yours? I had twins 4 years ago and have seriously neglected the bike. The last time I really cleaned up a bike, I was 12 years old and took motor oil and WD-40 to everything I saw.

Oh, and Brasso. And anything else that smelled funny.

I can't upload a picture. Maybe it's because I'm new.
Welcome to the Tutor CJ ! I want to see your pics, when you upload you have to click the add attach over on the right of the page for each photo you select, so try again. I never used motor oil before but I do use WD-40 to take off grime on most every thing but the chain and follow with a mild cleaner to remove the WD-40. Total dis assembly of the bike, bag and tag the parts til I get to them. the next weapon is simply Turtle wax brand of polishing compound and lots of rags. I do the frame all by hand until I get the result I want. I use the turtle wax on the alloy also by hand, for the tougher alloy parts like cranks, seatposts..etc very dulled parts ,I resort to rouge and bench polishing or other hand tools. then rebuild the bike. If it is not 95% + perfect I replace it. I have been putting the "new" in used for over 20 yrs. It just takes time and elbow grease. I pick up where the Bike shops have to stop when it comes to detailing a bike. I charge about $100 labor for most bikes to do this, which is a pretty good deal to have a bike freshened up, brakes set, tuned, and so on. It takes many hours and a couple glasses of wine to do it right! I find it quite Therapeutic. Smile
Here are some pics, and thanks for the tips.
Cool, glad you posted the pics. Looks like a nice candidate to fluff and buff.
I recommend at least a six pack and 2 cans of sardines to get you through the task. Hair dryer/heat gun to help remove any stickers you want, WD-40 to remove any residue, then lots of rags and finish with Meguires wax. If you decide to do it post some nice close up shots for us to see. thanks
(04-27-2014, 06:26 AM)jesshymano Wrote:  Good catch there. How much did you get it from and where?
If you are talking about the Green bike, I think I paid $100 and it sold For $350.
I sold it in different trim to modify to customer wants. Here are a couple pics.
What a good looking bike PK!
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

thanks Bill, the wife was starting to like it too. Now I have to find her another bike. That is just the way it goes sometimes! Smile
Wish I had that problem with the wife! Can't hardly get her to go.
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount