Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

6-7 speed
Hey guys i want to make my huffy 5 speed into a 7 speed has any one done it thanks
(10-20-2013, 12:13 AM)billy247 Wrote:  Hey guys i want to make my huffy 5 speed into a 7 speed has any one done it thanks
1) Your bike has friction shifters rather than indexed correct? Indexed means you click the shifter one notch & the bike shifts exactly one gear with no fine tuning. Friction means that there are no set spots for the gears, you move the shifter & "tune it" until it is in gear properly without a bunch of clatter & noise.
1A) Friction shifters will probably be ok & have enough range of movement for the new gears.
1B) Indexed shifter? You need a new shifter, period. They're really cheap.

2) You should see a gap between the smallest cog & your frame, about 1/4 to 3/8". This is the gap on my 7 speed cruiser, yours is probably an even bigger gap.
[Image: Clear1.jpg]
You probably have room for a 6 speed freewheel, a seven could be tight.
YOUR REAR DERAILLEUR MUST be able to adjust a little more, It should for a 6 speed easily. For a 7 speed I would want to put a 7 speed wheel from another bike in the frame for a test fit & trial derailleur adjustment.

3) First you gotta get the old freewheel off which will require a tool about $10 or take it to a local bike shop for about $5. It may be almost impossible to get off, I have one that no amount of penetrant & heat will budge. Before you do anything, I'd try to pull the old 5 speed freewheel.

New rear gears about $15
GET A new chain, under $15

New shifter if needed, maybe $10
New rear derailleur if needed, maybe $12
(10-20-2013, 02:54 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(10-20-2013, 12:13 AM)billy247 Wrote:  Hey guys i want to make my huffy 5 speed into a 7 speed has any one done it thanks
1) Your bike has friction shifters rather than indexed correct? Indexed means you click the shifter one notch & the bike shifts exactly one gear with no fine tuning. Friction means that there are no set spots for the gears, you move the shifter & "tune it" until it is in gear properly without a bunch of clatter & noise.
1A) Friction shifters will probably be ok & have enough range of movement for the new gears.
1B) Indexed shifter? You need a new shifter, period. They're really cheap.

2) You should see a gap between the smallest cog & your frame, about 1/4 to 3/8". This is the gap on my 7 speed cruiser, yours is probably an even bigger gap.
[Image: Clear1.jpg]
You probably have room for a 6 speed freewheel, a seven could be tight.
YOUR REAR DERAILLEUR MUST be able to adjust a little more, It should for a 6 speed easily. For a 7 speed I would want to put a 7 speed wheel from another bike in the frame for a test fit & trial derailleur adjustment.

3) First you gotta get the old freewheel off which will require a tool about $10 or take it to a local bike shop for about $5. It may be almost impossible to get off, I have one that no amount of penetrant & heat will budge. Before you do anything, I'd try to pull the old 5 speed freewheel.

New rear gears about $15
GET A new chain, under $15

New shifter if needed, maybe $10
New rear derailleur if needed, maybe $12

The bike says on it 15 speed index shifting so idk what that means I'm still new to bike repair so please help and I'll have to measure the clog gap if you want I can post a picture for you
Yes; my World Tourist was a 5 speed, now 7 speed.

in addition to what Jeff wrote, you may need to alter the dish of the wheel and/or add washers to the right side.
Nigel
(10-20-2013, 09:52 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Yes; my World Tourist was a 5 speed, now 7 speed.

in addition to what Jeff wrote, you may need to alter the dish of the wheel and/or add washers to the right side.

What's the dish of the wheel Nigel I'm new to the bike repair world lol sorry if I seem like a dummy
You should be able to buy a new 6 spd freewheel & chain, you must buy a new 6 speed shifter. Your rear derailer will probably be OK.
You probably aren't going to want to re-dish the rear wheel on an inexpensive bike (nfmisso does his own). For that price you could just buy a new 7 speed ready rear wheel from Amazon.
Please post at least a pic of your shifters.
Do you have a friend that will let you test fit a rear wheel?
(10-20-2013, 11:53 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  You should be able to buy a new 6 spd freewheel & chain, you must buy a new 6 speed shifter. Your rear derailer will probably be OK.
You probably aren't going to want to re-dish the rear wheel on an inexpensive bike (nfmisso does his own). For that price you could just buy a new 7 speed ready rear wheel from Amazon.
Please post at least a pic of your shifters.
Do you have a friend that will let you test fit a rear wheel?

OK I'm not home but I will post when I get home and unfortunately no I dont have a friend to test fit it I'll have to wing it
Make sure to check the O.L.D. (aka O.L.N.) of your frame/rear wheel before buying a replacement.
Nigel
(10-20-2013, 12:10 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Make sure to check the O.L.D. (aka O.L.N.) of your frame/rear wheel before buying a replacement.

Nigel what does that mean?
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_n-o.html
Nigel
(10-20-2013, 12:10 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Make sure to check the O.L.D. (aka O.L.N.) of your frame/rear wheel before buying a replacement.

Ooo I have become a bit smarter now thank you Nigel
ok jeff here are the pics it was dark so i did the best i could there is 2 pics of the friction shifter and 1 of the 5 speed shifter and 2 of both like i said there not the best buy i tried if you like i can get better ones in the morning
(10-21-2013, 12:17 AM)billy247 Wrote:  ok jeff here are the pics it was dark so i did the best i could there is 2 pics of the friction shifter and 1 of the 5 speed shifter and 2 of both like i said there not the best buy i tried if you like i can get better ones in the morning
Hey! How many speeds is that bike in the background??
First we have to figure the wheel out, but here are some cheap 6 speed thumb shifters.
(10-21-2013, 01:07 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(10-21-2013, 12:17 AM)billy247 Wrote:  ok jeff here are the pics it was dark so i did the best i could there is 2 pics of the friction shifter and 1 of the 5 speed shifter and 2 of both like i said there not the best buy i tried if you like i can get better ones in the morning
Hey! How many speeds is that bike in the background??
First we have to figure the wheel out, but here are some cheap 6 speed thumb shifters.

Great that one is a 7 speed Big Grin
There you go, test fit time. Remember to check not just wheel fit, but if it looks like the chain can go on to the highest (smallest) gear without rubbing against the frame as you ride. look from above, behind & below.

Possibly Related Threads...